HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/294016-your-opinion-6-hunters-80-heavily-wooded-acres-too-crowded.html)

skb2706 05-22-2009 10:48 AM

RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

You wouldn't know if you haven't been there.

Didn't say anything about "needing" its all about "having".

The idea of not having other hunters around really appeals to me.

Average day we will see many deer and have many opportunities to stalk, sometimes it works and sometimes we get busted. It is far different from how the boys back east hunt.

Lanse couche couche 05-22-2009 10:59 AM

I think that when I have had the runof 14,000 acres of flat prairie pretty much to myself I know enough to talk about it.Like I said, low density when you are having to scope them from "miles away." Sometimes that can be nice, other times, give me a ten acre woodlot in an area with good numbers. Everything else you said pretty much describes deer hunting everywhere. But I'm not gonna argue it. As far as i am concerned, its all good. If you are having fun, itdoesn't really matter if it is 2 acres or 20,000 or if you are waiting for a close shot with a slug in the brush, or taking them down at 300 yards with a 7mm mag after a "stalk."[8D]

chipchippy 06-10-2009 08:14 AM

I have 33 acres and 2 hunt on it with guns. 3 with bows.

GFY_Camp 06-10-2009 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

I'm surprised how many people are saying they need hundreds or even thousands of acres per person! I must admit my family and I are pretty spoiled in that we have over 600 acres of private land to hunt and generally there is only about 4 of us hunting at any one time. However a lot of that land is wide open fields so the percentage of that 600 acres we actually hunt is probably much much smaller. My point is that I think you could certainly hunt 6 guys on 80 acres, it might not be ideal but i think it can be done.

I would pick out your brushiest and nastiest ten acres or so in the middle of your land and designate it as a refuge where no one hunts. That will help hold deer on your land. Maybe think about clearing a few small food plots, that will also bring in deer from surrounding areas and hold them on your land. Lastly I would make a rule that you can only stand hunt, that would limit the amount of scent you spread across the property and would prevent you from pushing too many deer around. I also am shocked how many people think that 6 people to 80 acres isn't "safe"...well no it isn't safe if you are slinging lead all over the place like a wild man, but if you are taking one or two well aimed shots at a deer I hardly see the safety risk. You said it was pretty thick so most shots should be fairly close. If you enforce the tree stands only rule then you can also ensure that all shots are aimed down so even if you miss the shots will go right into the ground. Safety is completely human dependant, and has nothing to do with how big of a piece of land you have but that's just my humble opinion.

This would be treestand hunting only. No stalking or moving. Once you have your stand that is where you sit no matter where the wind is blowing from.

BowtechHunting 06-14-2009 09:04 AM

Way to crowded. At least 20-30 acres per hunter in my opinion.

Hawgnman 06-14-2009 12:40 PM

We put 12 hunters on 546 wooded acres. We have 8 hunting zones and 5 club stands within the 8 zones. A hunter either picks a stand or a zone. Zone hunters must stay 200 yards form the stand in the zone, if one is there. Most zone hunters are using climbing stands.

That calculates to 45.5 per hunter