Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? >

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

You're right about the 50 but the critter will be just as dead with a smaller round.I know several friends that never wear camo when hunting anything including turkeys and they always fill their turkey tags.To a point compounds are technically more advanced than trad bows but they still only throw the arrow.Faster yes in many cases but I've never come across one that shoots as quiet as my recurve let alone my longbow which is near silent.Accuracy is entirely dependent on the shooter.Howard Hill could at will "Robin Hood" an arrow.In fact he did all the shooting for the orginal RH film.Howard,Ron Leclair,John Shultz,etc shoot dimes thrown in the air.Hill nailed ten in a row once.Try to do that with precision sights some time.HIll,Fred Bear,Ben Pearson all took animals well over 100yds in their time shooting bare bow.Not to shabby for a stick'n string !
While it is true you can "kill" large animals with smaller rounds, they won't dispatch the animal as quick. I want my animals dead where they stand so I don't have to trail them or possibly lose them.

I could kill turkeys in my underwear if I were shooting them with rifles or from a blind. But if you're calling them into close proximity, you need concealment.

And as for shooting dimes and Robin Hooding arrows...... That's great, if you like exibitions. I would rather employ the technology availbale to me in every effort to make as ethical a kill as possible. Traditional people are cool with me, I just like to evolve with the times. And people like Tred Barta who consistantly make horrible shots on animals with a traditional bow make me sick to my stomach.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure if you take it to the extreme- .22 vs .50 you'll see a difference but I seriously doubt any animal shot with my 7x57 or .280 would go more than a few yards farther if any than one hit with a .50 cal.Me and my friends often use tree stands while bow hunting deer but a couple never use a blind or camo for turkeys and that's with a shotgun.Rifle's arent allowed here in NY for turkey.I always wear camo when hunting turkeys (Even my Mberg 835 has the Mossy Oak finish.) and most everything else as do most of my buds.Never heard of Tred Barta and from what you say glad of it.Good luck!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow 4 pages and no one mentioned the biggest hunting myth of all " BOWHUNTING IS HARDER THAN GUN HUNTING"

Others:
Deer are smart. (deer have very low intelligence and behave strictly on instinct)
The younger the deer the better it tastes (I find fawns to be the blandest of all the age groups)
Bear meat doesnt taste good (better than venison IMO)
Bears are harder to kill than deer (a avg. black bears shoulders and ribs are about the same size as an avg WTs)
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Myth: A .300 RUM is a "better" deer gun than a .308 Win.

Please tell them that recoil = flinching for everyone!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Wow 4 pages and no one mentioned the biggest hunting myth of all " BOWHUNTING IS HARDER THAN GUN HUNTING"

Others:
Deer are smart. (deer have very low intelligence and behave strictly on instinct)
The younger the deer the better it tastes (I find fawns to be the blandest of all the age groups)
Bears are harder to kill than deer (a avg. black bears shoulders and ribs are about the same size as an avg WTs)
Bowhunting is harder!It requires much more practice to shoot a bow well and your range is far more limited.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

1.People who hunt deer with hounds are lazy slobs.[:-]

2.People who hunt with crossbows are lazy slobs.[&o]

3.Legalizing crossbows will result in the deer population being wiped out.[X(]

4.You need 1000 bucks worth of camo, scent, lure, etc. to bag a big buck.

5.Kevin1 has never "touched" himself when he gets bored in the deer stand.[]
Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Others:
Bowhunting is harder!It requires much more practice to shoot a bow well and your range is far more limited.
WRONG! Your assuming the weapon used is the only factor in what makes a hunt difficult. I dont know about your state but here in NY you will see 10Xs as many deer during bow season than in gun season. The weapon and range matter little if you dont have anything to shoot at, and most of my gun kills have been with in bow range anyway. That and the fact that you have about 50Xs as many hunters in the woods during gun season as oppose to bow season, kind of adds to the difficulty aswell doesnt it?. Not to mention, you have many more option of where you can hunt w/ a bow than a gun ,and more opportunities to practice shooting a bow than a gun, Id call that an advantage wouldnt you? Personally my most frustrating and challenging phases of deer season is gun season, not archery season!

Like I said bowhunting being harder than gun hunting is a myth IMO.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure if you take it to the extreme- .22 vs .50 you'll see a difference but I seriously doubt any animal shot with my 7x57 or .280 would go more than a few yards farther if any than one hit with a .50 cal.Me and my friends often use tree stands while bow hunting deer but a couple never use a blind or camo for turkeys and that's with a shotgun.Rifle's arent allowed here in NY for turkey.I always wear camo when hunting turkeys (Even my Mberg 835 has the Mossy Oak finish.) and most everything else as do most of my buds.Never heard of Tred Barta and from what you say glad of it.Good luck!
If your friends are that good where they can kill turkeys in jeans and a t-shirts, that's awesome!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Spike

Here's a myth you can give to your students. If you gain entry into some one's deer camp don't worry about helping with the chores, and if you don't help, don'tworry that you might wake up the next morning with some one's dirty socks wrapped around your head, or that all your clothes might be missing or etc.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:22 AM

kevin has never touched himself !!!!!!!!!!! lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quick Reply: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.