Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? >

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 AM
  #81  
Nontypical Buck
 
halfbakedi420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: central and east texas
Posts: 4,894
Default

well everyone certainly has an as.....opinion, as fer smell goin up in the air and bein in a treestand the deer wont smell you, is true in the mornin, the sun comes up and moisture starts evaperating carryin the scent with it, but in the evenin the air and scent are movin downhill as to settle on the forest floor...there-for bein above the trail in the mornin and bein below the trail in the dusk hours is the way to go...


No doubt ....archery is way harder than rifle..no exceptions

.22 and a .50 will kill the deer the same, shot placement is everything

why are you wearing camo if you are in a blind?


camo definatly helps me when i bowhunt, not in a blind, and scentlock definatly helps..helps i say..certainly u have your head exposed, and you are breathing righ? so ur breath is #1 if ya have on scentlok..so breath through ur nose..

my daughters rossi .223 is jus as effective as my 300WSM, given the right distance, energy is whats needed, so if you are shootin 600 yrds, the .223 aint gonna have the same energy as my 300WSM.
halfbakedi420 is offline  
Old 09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
  #82  
Nontypical Buck
 
DeerandbearhoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange county, NY
Posts: 2,949
Default

Originally Posted by earnabuck View Post
Your point is pointless, your arguments are opinions. Bow season may not be as productive, your assuming everyone sees more deer during bow season. Gun season deer move more because they are getting pushed by "all the hunters" that are in the woods. Look at this in an apples to apples scenario....which weapon is easier to kill a deer with.....A RIFLE. I spend a lot more time with a bow in my hand then with a rifle and I have shot more bucks with a rifle by far.
I also flyfish, and this argument is just the same as saying flyfishing is easier than spin fishing. It takes more skill, more practice and is more time consuming, just as bowhunting. I love to do both...but anyone that thinks bowhunting is easier than rifle hunting is not rationalizing what easier means. Seeing more deer doesn't mean easier because those deer need to be within 30 yards. Anyone ever do deer drives with archery equipment? That would be a challenge.
God I cant believe how many people can miss such a simple point, my point is not that one is harder than the other !!!!!!!!!!NESSASSARILY!!!!!!!! Sure some people may see more deer during gun season ,although if your bow season is during the rut, you will be more likely to see deer moving then,if not, why would outfitters charge more for hunting during the rut? also, deer do not move alot cause they are pushed by others hunters unless they are on a diliberate drive ,if anything, they become more stationary and nocturnal. Sure some hunters may kill more deer with a gun, but that may be due to a miriad of other factors than the effective range of either weapon. Mabye they hunt more during gun season, mabye theyre less picky in gun season, mabye their states gun season is closer to the rut, mabye they have alot of private land and arent as affected by hunting pressure , mabye theyre sucky bow hunters or maybe theyre luckier during gun season, who knows? the point is, just because you can take a longer shot w/ a gun ,does not automatically mean its easier for everyone, in every state, in every situation, to kill a deer w/ a gun as oppsed to bow. Personally , I have killed more deer and bigger deer with my bow because I have alot more opprtunities and places to hunt w/ a bow and IME after the 3rd day of gun season, you might as well start duck hunting, or be prepared to sit a long time without seeing anything, because deer seem to dissapear ,so thats why I choose to take an honest outlook on hunting and say that bowhunting, nessassarrily being harder than rifle hunting, is a myth. I understand that goes aginst the self gradifying idea that youre amoung the elites just cause you hunt with a bow but hey, somtimes the truths a bitter pill.
DeerandbearhoG is offline  
Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 PM
  #83  
Nontypical Buck
 
DeerandbearhoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange county, NY
Posts: 2,949
Default

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 View Post
.


No doubt ....archery is way harder than rifle..no exceptions

..
Really? Ok, you have two places to hunt, but only one week off from work. you have one 300 acre lease, that you share w/ up to 10 other gun hunters, and your gun season starts a week after peak rut. You have one 40 acre spot all to yourself, w/ stands set up on every funnel, that is restricted to bow only, and your bow season takes place during peak rut. You reeeeeeealy want to kill a good buck this year, and want to put the odds, as much in your favor, as possible. what week are you taking off? That my friend, is what you call an "exception"
DeerandbearhoG is offline  
Old 09-30-2009, 02:00 PM
  #84  
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG View Post
Really? Ok, you have two places to hunt, but only one week off from work. you have one 300 acre lease, that you share w/ up to 10 other gun hunters, and your gun season starts a week after peak rut. You have one 40 acre spot all to yourself, w/ stands set up on every funnel, that is restricted to bow only, and your bow season takes place during peak rut. You reeeeeeealy want to kill a good buck this year, and want to put the odds, as much in your favor, as possible. what week are you taking off? That my friend, is what you call an "exception"
You are TRYING to say that the inferior weapon is easier to hunt with than the superior weapon. You ARE making the point that it is easier to hunt with a longer season and lower hunting pressure. I can maybe agree with you on that...maybe, but you aren't convincing anyone that killing a deer with a bow is easier than with a firearm.
dooittoit is offline  
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM
  #85  
Nontypical Buck
 
DeerandbearhoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange county, NY
Posts: 2,949
Default

Originally Posted by dooittoit View Post
You are TRYING to say that the inferior weapon is easier to hunt with than the superior weapon. You ARE making the point that it is easier to hunt with a longer season and lower hunting pressure. I can maybe agree with you on that...maybe, but you aren't convincing anyone that killing a deer with a bow is easier than with a firearm.
OK you're messin w/ me now,right? I specifically said, two posts ago, "my point is not that one is harder than the other" .For the ?????teenth time now, and read carfully ,cause this is the last time Im gonna post this.... IM not comparing the actual weapons to each other, of course a gun can shoot farther ,thats not the point though, its the actual hunting seasons Im comparing, and I believe archery season,for many people, has some signifigant advantages over gun season, thats why I said bowhunting(nessassarily) being harder than gun hunting, is a myth. Now if you want to keep saying, " a gun can shoot farther so it easier" and "Ive killed more deer w/ my gun" go ahead , Ive made my point several XS, as clear as I can. Moving on now, enjoy your hunts.(what ever you use)
DeerandbearhoG is offline  
Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
  #86  
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post

the point is don't skimp on the rifle/scope combination when you are paying thousands for a hunt.
That all I was trying to say.

I guided for wt in Texas back in the day. I seen almost every brand of gun/ scope fail... some due to lack of care, jamming and others due to accidents (dropping).. scope fail more often than anything else (moisture, fogging, or mounted incorrectly). Two years ago my dad took a spill crossing a creek and him and his gun went completely under after rushing him back to the vehicle, we returned to retrieve his gun about thirty min later. We pulled the rifle out of the creek and it froze to solid ice instantly. Once at camp we took the entire gun down to the firing pin.. Cleaned, dried and lubed, we took it for a test run the next morning, still dead on and functioning perfect. That's all you could ask for.
elkoholic501 is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 AM
  #87  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,862
Default

I hunt in NY also. It is way easier to get hunting access for bowhunters than it is for gun hunters. That in itself gives the bowhunter a great advantage. I have also seen way more deer during bowseasons than I ever do during gun season which is also a plus for the bowhunter. The bowhunters who hunt the suburban areas (and many bowhunters have never hunted in any other type of environment!) will get to see a good many deer at spitting distances. Some still fail to take deer which is due basically because the bowhunter is either not a great shot or because the bow in reality isn't that great of a weapon. In my mind the biggest factor in being a successful hunter is having access to good spots and being able to make the kill when the deer shows up. The bowhunters surely have the advantage with the access but many still fail to kill deer due to a bows limitations. Just because bowhunters choose to hunt with a weapon with limited range should not make them feel superior in hunting ability. If they had no other choice and had to hunt where many gun hunters have to, they would be humbled and realize that the advantages of a rifle or shotgun can be quickly diminished when there are many fewer deer to shoot at.
Steve863 is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 AM
  #88  
Fork Horn
 
Whitetailaddict13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: At the bar
Posts: 192
Default

That deer are color blind. It is true they dont see colors like people do but they are not color blind. Also, about the whole "dead space between spine and vitals." Impossible.. The anatomy of a deer just isnt like that, period.
Whitetailaddict13 is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM
  #89  
Nontypical Buck
 
DannyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,414
Default

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993 View Post
Wrong! Yes the two are put there for the same reason.

Food plots take work to put in and keep up. To me that is more ethical.

Feeder, or baiting....takes no handy work, time, or effort at all. Walk in the woods with a bucket of apples. Or put up a feeder and a stand in front of it. Thats just not right IMO
just because it takes work means it's not baiting?

Ok, I don't have an ATV. I have to haul 50 lbs of corn a week on my back to a feeder, 2 miles off the road up and down the mountains of WV.
That takes, time and effort. So that's now not baiting?

(BTW, I don't do that. I'm too old and that's just too much darn work It's just an example)

Last edited by DannyD; 10-01-2009 at 08:52 AM.
DannyD is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 AM
  #90  
Nontypical Buck
 
DeerandbearhoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orange county, NY
Posts: 2,949
Default

Originally Posted by Steve863 View Post
I hunt in NY also. It is way easier to get hunting access for bowhunters than it is for gun hunters. That in itself gives the bowhunter a great advantage. I have also seen way more deer during bowseasons than I ever do during gun season which is also a plus for the bowhunter. The bowhunters who hunt the suburban areas (and many bowhunters have never hunted in any other type of environment!) will get to see a good many deer at spitting distances. Some still fail to take deer which is due basically because the bowhunter is either not a great shot or because the bow in reality isn't that great of a weapon. In my mind the biggest factor in being a successful hunter is having access to good spots and being able to make the kill when the deer shows up. The bowhunters surely have the advantage with the access but many still fail to kill deer due to a bows limitations. Just because bowhunters choose to hunt with a weapon with limited range should not make them feel superior in hunting ability. If they had no other choice and had to hunt where many gun hunters have to, they would be humbled and realize that the advantages of a rifle or shotgun can be quickly diminished when there are many fewer deer to shoot at.
BINGO!
DeerandbearhoG is offline  

Quick Reply: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.