Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? >

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Old 05-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

Wow 4 pages and no one mentioned the biggest hunting myth of all " BOWHUNTING IS HARDER THAN GUN HUNTING"

Others:
Deer are smart. (deer have very low intelligence and behave strictly on instinct)
The younger the deer the better it tastes (I find fawns to be the blandest of all the age groups)
Bear meat doesnt taste good (better than venison IMO)
Bears are harder to kill than deer (a avg. black bears shoulders and ribs are about the same size as an avg WTs)
Bowhunting is harder!It requires much more practice to shoot a bow well and your range is far more limited.
WRONG! Your assuming the weapon used is the only factor in what makes a hunt difficult. I dont know about your state but here in NY you will see 10Xs as many deer during bow season than in gun season. The weapon and range matter little if you dont have anything to shoot at, and most of my gun kills have been with in bow range anyway. That and the fact that you have about 50Xs as many hunters in the woods during gun season as oppose to bow season, kind of adds to the difficulty aswell doesnt it?. Not to mention, you have many more option of where you can hunt w/ a bow than a gun ,and more opportunities to practice shooting a bow than a gun, Id call that an advantage wouldnt you? Personally my most frustrating and challenging phases of deer season is gun season, not archery season!

Like I said bowhunting being harder than gun hunting is a myth IMO.
Sorry I still gotta disagree.I'm also in NY just inside the Adirondack Park.Hunting pressure in the northern zone is much lighter than the SZ so the deer simply aren't being pushed around as much.Plus we have far fewer deer to start with.Also there's still plenty of foliage during the early bow season limiting how far you can see.Granted while almost all my gun kills were within bow range I still would not have been able to take all I have with the bow.Reason being the least little twig will deflect the arrow.With a gun you can "thread the needle" so to speak.That's not to say a bullet will plow through anything but you will have an advantage none the less.I've had to let a few walk for that very reason bowhunting.The few times I've hunted the SZ regular season/opening day I saw plenty of deer.More than I've ever seen during the entire NZ early bow.I've never hunted the SZ bow season so I cant say how that is in comparison to the regular season.As far as practice goes it depends where you live.Back in my Sayville LI days I had to go to a range to shoot guns.There were still some places within a fairly short drive where I could practice with the bow but almost all of those have been developed over the 23 years since I lived there.Where I live now I can just walk out the door and shoot anything I want.My nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile down the road.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Sure if you take it to the extreme- .22 vs .50 you'll see a difference but I seriously doubt any animal shot with my 7x57 or .280 would go more than a few yards farther if any than one hit with a .50 cal.Me and my friends often use tree stands while bow hunting deer but a couple never use a blind or camo for turkeys and that's with a shotgun.Rifle's arent allowed here in NY for turkey.I always wear camo when hunting turkeys (Even my Mberg 835 has the Mossy Oak finish.) and most everything else as do most of my buds.Never heard of Tred Barta and from what you say glad of it.Good luck!
If your friends are that good where they can kill turkeys in jeans and a t-shirts, that's awesome!
I wouldn't say they were that good or anything.Nobody in their right mind would wear T's during turkey season up here.Either it's to cold for that or the evil Black flys,skeeters,and Deer flys will eat you alive.They wear long sleeved plaid shirts,dark colored sweat shirts or light jackets.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bernie I would concede that bowhunting in the dacks is probably as hard as it gets, however down here its a whole other ball game, its hard to even find a spot to gun hunt around here outside of public land and the spots that you can usually dont have many deer anyway. The best spots down here are small patches of woods in the burbs, loaded with deer and some pretty big bucks too. Bowhunting those spots are a slam dunk compared to hunting the bigger tracts of land in gun season ,even on private land. My point was its not really the weapon or the range that makes deer hunting hard nessarily so thats why i think the idea that bowhunting, is automatically harder is a myth.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

That once a spike always a spike, and you don't have to have the newest and greatest stuff to hunt. I've shot deer in jeans.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow 4 pages and no one mentioned the biggest hunting myth of all " BOWHUNTING IS HARDER THAN GUN HUNTING"

Others:
Deer are smart. (deer have very low intelligence and behave strictly on instinct)
The younger the deer the better it tastes (I find fawns to be the blandest of all the age groups)
Bear meat doesnt taste good (better than venison IMO)
Bears are harder to kill than deer (a avg. black bears shoulders and ribs are about the same size as an avg WTs)
Bowhunting is harder!It requires much more practice to shoot a bow well and your range is far more limited.
WRONG! Your assuming the weapon used is the only factor in what makes a hunt difficult. I dont know about your state but here in NY you will see 10Xs as many deer during bow season than in gun season. The weapon and range matter little if you dont have anything to shoot at, and most of my gun kills have been with in bow range anyway. That and the fact that you have about 50Xs as many hunters in the woods during gun season as oppose to bow season, kind of adds to the difficulty aswell doesnt it?. Not to mention, you have many more option of where you can hunt w/ a bow than a gun ,and more opportunities to practice shooting a bow than a gun, Id call that an advantage wouldnt you? Personally my most frustrating and challenging phases of deer season is gun season, not archery season!

Like I said bowhunting being harder than gun hunting is a myth IMO.

Sorry, but your wrong.

Bowhunting IS harder then gunhunting. Fact.

Your location troubles haveZERO to do with this fact. If it was a level playing field (say, Iowa, on a private ranch), it would be 100x easier to tag out with a rifle/shotgun then a bow.

Once again, just because there is no deer left during gun season in your area, does not make gun hunting harder.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

You shouldn't pee by your stand(Read in Field N Streams top 10 Myths, some go as far as to say human pee can actually cause curiosity)
Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Deer only move in the middle of the day during a full moon.
2. Only does blow.(you know what I mean)
3. Human urine spooks deer (I know this has already been said,
I'm just enforcing it)
4. Gunshots spook deer. I've shot coyotes and bobcats, only to
see deer a few minutes later. I've shot deer and stayed in my
stand a few minutes longer only to see deer totally relaxed
walk by.
5. Hunting a food plot is totally different than hunting a feeder.
They are both designed for the exact same reason, to kill
deer. Either way, you are hunting a food source that was put
there by the hunter.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about other hunters will never tell you a good spot to hunt!

I have a habit of talking to local hunters when I travel and they frequently give me good info.

I've been given good info from people on this board and others.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by superstrutter
5. Hunting a food plot is totally different than hunting a feeder.
They are both designed for the exact same reason, to kill
deer. Either way, you are hunting a food source that was put
there by the hunter.
Wrong! Yes the two are put there for the same reason.

Food plots take work to put in and keep up. To me that is more ethical.

Feeder, or baiting....takes no handy work, time, or effort at all. Walk in the woods with a bucket of apples. Or put up a feeder and a stand in front of it. Thats just not right IMO
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
2.People who hunt with crossbows are lazy slobs.[&o]

3.Legalizing crossbows will result in the deer population being wiped out.[X(]
What the hell is your problem with crossbows.

Quick Reply: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.