Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Iron sites with a scope

Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Spike

Default RE: Iron sites with a scope

Okay, that's what I thought (about the scope mounting a little higher). I'm not used to mounting a scope either way, so I should be able to get used to it just fine. I assume a quick release system is only different in the rings you use (and not different in the base). So if I want to mount my scope lower for other hunts, it's just a matter of switching the rings, right?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Spike

I think this might be the way to go. When I'm traveling from point A to B, I can leave the scope off. Once there (up in my tree for example), I can just pop the scope back on. While the scope is off, I'll still be able to line my sights up and the scope's base won't be in the way.

http://www.warnescopemounts.com/steel_bases.html

What are the chances of a black bear running up the tree? Darn, I can't bring my handgun to New York (NY doesn't have a reciprocal agreement Ohio) and I don't think your allowed to even bring a handgun into the state unless you're passing through.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Get scope rings that allow you to see the iron sights as well
Old 05-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

3x9-40 scope, Leupold STD rings and bases, Medium height rings I think.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your sold on the necessity for installing iron sights, what all said regarding get a set-up with see through rings.

Personally, I would wonder why purchase a weapon without them, only to install them? Just sayin'.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Spike

I didn't think about it until after buying my rifle. Plus, the rifle I purchased was very specific, and lefty, and most rifles of this kind do not come with sights anymore. I could have ordered it custom through Savage (and had them add sights), but I would have paid considerably more (and wouldn't have had a choice in sights).
Old 05-03-2009, 03:28 PM

#1 If you have a detachable then there is no reason for the see through rings.

#2 If you have the see through rings then there is no point of having the detachable base.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Spike

Agreed.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Also another thing to consider if your rifle is a specific set up, and you are looking for a cheap iron sight rifle look at wal-mart they can order you a NEF single shot in a assortment of calibers. I have been looking at doing the same for my youngest and buying a 243. I will say that a bear is a inquisitive animal and they have been known to climb trees to check out hunters in tree stands. Don't worry too much about the bear I hunt them from the ground usually from natural dead fall and have had bears come right to my brush blind and they usually turn and bolt once they figure out what is inside! Only be concerned if you have a sow with cubs if you are on the ground...
Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike

Wow...I think I'd be a little intimidated if a black bear, even a relatively small one, snuck up on me.It's good to know they are almost always more afraid of us. Some are getting quite bold though.

Quick Reply: Iron sites with a scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.