Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ice vs. Gel packs

Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Default Ice vs. Gel packs

has anyone ever used ice gel pack to cool deer meat down after a kill? I am wondering if I should use ice or get some good gel packs. I am worried about the ice melting and not having what I need to chill the deer down. I have read that you should get the deer cooled down fast to about 34 degress and age it for about 2 weeks..Any thougts?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ice vs. Gel packs

I just clean it, and then keep the meat on ice for 3-4 days. I drain it and add ice periodically. The ideal method would be to hand the deer in a cooler of some sort for a week but not everyone has a cooler that size readily available.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the early muzzleloader in PA, if I know that I won't be able to get the deer to the butcher for a while just get a few bags of ice and pack the chest cavity. You'd be spending a pretty penny to buy enough gel pak's to make it worthwhile.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Spike

The only drawback to ice is when it melts and sets on the meat, it will take the red out of the color and become pale.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JUSTIN342987

The only drawback to ice is when it melts and sets on the meat, it will take the red out of the color and become pale.
And why would that matter? As long as the meat stays fresh, it doesn't matter what color it is.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off...

I shoot most of my deer on evening hunts, so by the time I get the deer dressed out and checked in it's usually late.
The deer sits inside my covered pick-up truck bed until the next day/night when I bring it to the processor.

All I do, is buy 7 bags of ice....
Three for the chest cavity, one under each shoulder/hind quarter, and 0ne on top of each shoulder/hind quarter.
The ice packs will basically do the same, but more may be needed, due to their smaller size...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Spike

Lol nothing i guess it just kinda makes me wonder if it still good sometimes when i cut it up because it will still be red in the center, but your right it prolly doesn't hurt anything, just kind of un-appealing
Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

First off...

I shoot most of my deer on evening hunts, so by the time I get the deer dressed out and checked in it's usually late.
The deer sits inside my covered pick-up truck bed until the next day/night when I bring it to the processor.

All I do, is buy 7 bags of ice....
Three for the chest cavity, one under each shoulder/hind quarter, and 0ne on top of each shoulder/hind quarter.
The ice packs will basically do the same, but more may be needed, due to their smaller size...
I do almost exactly the same as ED but I only use 5 bags of ice and I wrap up the deer in atarp. It will keep all night and allwell into the afternoon that way.

Bob
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Spike

Unless you can get it to the butcher to hang just stick with the ice it's cheap and disposable and hey it's also good for the environment if you care.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM

Well, I was trying to be economical about it..my buddie has these gel packs that are huge..2 or 3 would fit in the chest cavity from what I can see..and the gel packs are reusable so I was thinking instead of shellin out money for ice every single time I need to pack my deer..that I would save money..and the gel packs from what my friend tells me is that they will last a heck of alot longer..he uses a 12v cooler in the his truck so this way he has cold refridgerant handy at all times when he's stinnin in his stand..doesnt have to worry about meltin ice!! So I think I am gonna give it a shot here with the gel packs..what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Ice vs. Gel packs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.