Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What Rifle Action is your Favorite? >

What Rifle Action is your Favorite?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Rifle Action is your Favorite?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: What Rifle Action is your Favorite?

Jimmy S

I hunted for the first time in forever this year and used a friend's 99 in .308. She had 6 or 7 rifles in the range for deer, and it was the one that stood out...and eventually dropped the deer in place with the one shot I took. The lever in the 99 can't be compared to the Winchesters I grew up with, the damn thing leaps into place and has no trouble with pointed bullets. I really do think people who are convinced bolt action is better should try a Savage 99.

This year I'm very seriously considering getting my father-in-law's 99 in .300 Savage up and going again. There are two downsides. It's a WWII relic (although scope tapped) that I would hate to damage in any way hunting and reloading supplies are almost impossible to get right now, because everyone is so freaked out.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 AM

I like the lever action the best cause u can get shots off fast
Old 05-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'll take my shot one at a time. Ruger #1's all the way.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: luketrinkley

I like the lever action the best cause u can get shots off fast
I've never needed more than one, so I prefer a bolt or muzzleloader. The trick is to wait for a good shot, concentrate on applying good marksmanship techniques, and having the discipline to pass if the good shot goes bad before you can shoot. It's been my experience that second shots just don't present themselves unless the deer is quite a ways away, which usually means they are far enough not to run spooked by the shot. If they run, I don't shoot, and even the fastest autoloader takes time to recover from recoil to get back on target, and a spooked deer can go quite a ways in a second or two. If the deer doesn't spook, then you have plenty of time to cycle a bolt action and take a second shot.

Mike

Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Spike

I like the accuracy of a bolt action. I currently just picked up a Savage 116 Weather Warrior in .30-06 with the new accustock. It's a great rifle for the price, for any price, that I plan on harvesting many deer with.