Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What Rifle Action is your Favorite? >

What Rifle Action is your Favorite?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Rifle Action is your Favorite?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Rifle Action is your Favorite?

ORIGINAL: MaineMan169

.....but my favorite currently is my Savage 99 in 7mm-08 a rifle action developed 100 years ago. What is yours?
Mine is also the Savage Model 99....250 Savage (250/3000).
It was passed on to me by Dad.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bolt action. I have owned and shot many, many different rifles - all action types, most common brands, and across about 100 years of vintage.I prefer a bolt action because of the strength and relative simplicity of the action ... and I have yet to find an auto-loader, pumpor lever action that provides the combination of 300 yard accuracy + a possibility of a follow up shot as does any of my bolt actions. Admittedly, I seldom have been successful if I miss on my first shot, so the rapid follow-up offered by an autoloader, pump or lever does not appeal to me these days.

My first "deer rifle" was a Winchester Model 88 in 308 Win. It was stolenfrom me by two 14 year old victims of society. It was my only, therefore "favorite" rifle for more than 20 years.(By the way, both of the gentlemen are dead now, eachhavingbeen murdered while inprison.) These days, I don't have a so called favorite. I typically use one of 4 rifles I have, depending upon the circumstance.

My No.1 hunting rifle is a Styer Pro-Hunter "Mountian" in 308 Win. I will use it probably 90% of the time. Right behind it is a sported 1932 military version Mauser in 6.5x55 SE.This particular rifle has a unique legacy and is absolutely drop dead accurate. It is my No.1 "Lender". When I hunt where shots could easily be in the 400 + range, I have a custominzed Rem. 700 in 300 Win. Mag. For stalking pigs in the swamp where I sometimes hunt, I often use a Marlin "Guide" in 444 Marlin.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess single shot would apply. I prefer to use my muzzleloader.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Spike

I like a bolt action as good as the next guy and its fun to shoot all of these types, but I'm prolly not the only guy on here that loves my ENCORE!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer semi auto's. I just like them for some reason. Not always quite as accurate but usually good enough to hunt with. I do hunt with hunting dogs sometimes. I noticed the guy on the first page said with dogs he prefers semi auto's. If I'm in a stand I don't think it would matter and I do sit in a stand however with the running deer I like it for the fact if I miss the first shot I can take another one quickly without taking it down off my shoulder. With the bolt action I have to take it off my shoulder to get the next round in the chamber and then put it back up to my shoulder and find the deer in the scope again and aim and shoot. You just make sure you put the cross hairs back on him with the semi auto. None of that other stuff. You often don't have the time to do all that with the bolt action if the deer is running.

If I was just doing target shooting it wouldn't really matter. I don't mind bolt actions but I much prefer semi auto's. I've never thought much of single shots until I shot a couple. They were fun to shoot and I loved them to just shoot cans and stuff with however, I wouldn't want one to use hunting at all.

I like the pumps just because they are cool but still not as much as semi auto's. They would probably be my second choice for a hunting rifle.

Lever actions would be my 3rd with bolt actions my 4th. The lever actions are just plain fun to shoot when target shooting but just not my favorite when it comes to a hunting rifle although they do fine.

Most anything is fine if you just sit in a stand where you only need one shot though. I still wouldn't want a single shot but it would even work.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father years ago made me grow up on a bolt action rifle for hunting. He said that with a semi-auto you subconsciously think to yourself that you have a second shot almost immediately so you might not concentrate on the first as much. I know this isn't true for most but that is the wayI grew up and still use bolt action today. Nothing aggrivates me more than on opening day of gun season and hearing 4 shots in 4 seconds. I know those last 2 shots are guys just "throwing up" shots. This of course is rifle. With my slug gun I use pump, not many bolt action slug guns still on the market.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Semi-Auto..hands down. Why is it my favorite? Because it is without question the best weapon for deer hunting east of the Mississippi. Softened recoil for faster follow up shots has gotten me a second chance on many deer that would not have allowed the same opportunity to a bolt action. Also when using a semi-auto deer do not hear you 'rack' the bolt after firing which often gives away your position should the first shot miss. I prefer a Rem. 742/7400/750 while my father likes the Browning Bar. 9 out of 10 weapons are semi-auto at my deer camp.

My personal rig...a Rem. 742 in 30-06 with a vintage Redfield Widefield Illuminator 3.5-10. Butler Creek Flip up scope caps and a brown nylon sling.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Spike

I've seen more levers in the woods when the hunters are walking weight being the deciding factor. Most bolt actions sighted in with good optics will give you a tack driver especially if you handload, but they tend to be heavy. The same can be said for many of the semi autos such as the Browning BAR and the 7400 Remingtons A good many of the pumps rattle if you should try to carry them by the forestock. I guess thats why they make all these rifles is to give us a choice. The same can be said about cartridge choices. I know that a practical man needs perhaps three guns a shotgun, a rifle and a handgun. A frugal man only needs a shotgun. An everyone knows as I do a gun nut needs one of everything... maybe two.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Spike

Like a more than a few of you my favorite is my .270 a battered but never abused Brno ZKK600 which has accounted for well over 200 animals in it's 19yrs. Next is my Sako Vixen L461 .222.
Cheers,
Whizz
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

All of the action-types have their fans...and I like each depending on where and how I will be hunting.

For most deer hunting over mixed terrain, I use my Savage M110 bolt action 7mm Remington Magnum.

For deer hunting in close woods, I like a Remington 7400 in .270 or the 742 in .30-06, where fast follow-up shots are possible. The Remington semi-autos represent about 2/3 of all hunting rifles in eastern Kentucky.

If I am looking for a memorable hunt (usually after I have my buck), I turn to lever actions...either in .30-30 or in a pistol cartridges like .44 Magnum or .45 Colt.

Lately, the most interesting hunting rifle to me is the Ruger M77II Compact in .308, that I will likely buy for my son.

Quick Reply: What Rifle Action is your Favorite?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.