Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Television show: Beyond the hunt? >

Television show: Beyond the hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Television show: Beyond the hunt?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Television show: Beyond the hunt?

OK Gromky:
I guess I did not figure on a sociopath hunting. Aren't you supposed to be in some sort of hospital? Just kidding. I really did not think about subsistance hunting. But then simply by virtue of the reason for subsistance hunting... no one like that would be reading this post so by virtue of automatic and reasonable elimination, subsisatnce hunting does not fit into the equation. So, my original post still stands. Now if there is someone who is a sociopath and is wealthy enough to buy a computer and online service but cannot afford to buy food at the grocery store, and needs to hunt for sustanance, then I guess I missed the mark for that group of huntingnet.com visitors. Otherwise, my earlier post still stands.
However if you were just trying to be thorough and cover all the bases then you did a good job of finding the miniscule chance of this post hitting any one in the category you spoke of. However again, it would take a sociopath to take this direction. Again just kidding. Again, however, again, this was fun for me so maybe that makes me sociopathic. Or did you just make me that way with your silly post. And for that matter are you taking the rest of the huntingnet.comers with you into your endless pit of sociopathy. Just kidding again. By the way this was fun for me but then I am guessing you were just trying to get some sort of response that would make it fun for you. I sure hope I did not disappoint. Again, again, however, again, now I know I have gone psycotic. Thank you very much. This was fun lets do it again sometime.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

i can see where gbrownlee is coming from. i mean i'm still relatively young and miss every once in a while, and while it bums me out and i'm sure you can tell by the look on my face, i don't think i can bring myself to out and out cry. i've had several much more negative experiences recently (deaths of friends, family, and bulldog) to cry over something that can be corrected. now i do get emotional when i kill something, but i don't cry, it's much more like hysterical laughter; pure unrestrained joy. so emotion i can see, but crying, i can't unless you've just never had anything truly bad happen to you.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Rusty:
Al BS aside (like my last post). Most of these ladies express emotions differently than men do. You said you laugh. A lot of the ladies cry as a form of happiness and sadness and many emotions between. All I can say is, you young guys just need to be patient and understanding. My main point here is, we need to do everything we can to grow our sport in a positive way. That must include the non-traditional hunters like women and kids. That would mean there will be some non-traditional responses to some hunting activities like missing and taking a nice trophy. Lets just be understanding and when you feel like teasing someone for getting emotional, just think about how fragile the link to hunting is for that person. You may be what drives them away from hunting. This may be a bit over the top for some of you young guys. Just please think about the damage you may be doing by being insensitive with the less experienced or less manly man hunters. It's going to take all kinds to be in the group of hunters to survive. Lets try to make all of the the curious and newbies welcome with open arms and no judgements. Please believe in the future of hunting enough to stretch your tollerence for different types and even the ones who get emotional.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: turkeyward

HEY GBROWNLEE:
I think you are really barking up the wrong tree there bud. I believe your being bothered by an emotional person on TV is far more rediculous than someone showing how they feel (AS LONG AS IT'S GENUINE). You also have to realize that Julie is not a well seasoned hunter like you seem to feel you are.
It seems to me youre making assumptions on things I never said. I simply stated that she cries.. A lot. Maybe its built up frustration from missing as many times as she does. I dont know. I dont know her at all. I can say that maybe, just maybe, if she knew when to shoot at an animal (not one that is walking or one that is out of her range) that maybe she wouldn't miss so much. Fewer misses = reduced Julie crying.

She obviously has a lot of emotion, and I can respect that. I too can get emotional after a miss. As you stated, guys WILL show emotion differently than women. I just get a little bumbed out or angry with myself but I do not cry. But I also think thather emotion is almost out of control to the fact that her judgement isclouded a bit. She takes some of the most un-ethical shots on television and after she does it they show her crying to make it look "real". Do you not notice that she just tried to shoot a bull elk in dense brushfrom 40 yards while walking? Guess what, she missed it! So would most everyone else, dont take the shot!

Maybe I am more of a seasoned hunter than she is, maybe I am not. But I do know that I learned at a very young age to not take such un-ethical shots on animals and then wonder "gee, why did I miss that bull?". While this may be her learning curve that we are witnessing, I dont think its really teaching anyone any good lessons or habits. It's pretty obvious why she is on the show. She is there for the whole "husband and hot wife hunting show" that seems to be catching on since lee and Tiffany started. Her husband makes some great shots and makes great decisions while hunting, the guys seems to really know his stuff. I just think that she needs to learn a little more about hunting before they show all of her misses and crying scenes.

If what I said bothers you that much, PM me and we can talk about it more in depth. I was simply stating my opinion on her and not saying I was a seasoned hunter who shows no emotion.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hey GBrown:
I liked your last post. I believe you get what I am saying. Truth is, its very rare to find a hunter who is not a good person. I believe you are a good guy too. I also believe you understand what we are up against with the antis and all the folks who want to take away our lifestyle because they do not agree with it. For the most part one of our weaknesses is the fact that nearly all decent sportsmen are live and let live kind of guys. However for some reason we seem to get into pissin' matches sometimes about things we feel are manly man stuff. There is a time for the burpin', fartin', story tellin' and keeping score. However that sort of stuff should never be at the expense of our sport nor should it be at the expense of the desires of those who are just new to hunting or just thinking about joining the ranks of our sport. All I am trying to say is we macho man hunters should know when to say when. Sometimes we need to be the gentle father, uncle, brother or husband. A kinder gentler man in order to share some of our way of life with those who do not have the opportunity we have to know how stalking and hunting and attempting to outsmart a cagey old buck or bull refuels our souls. It's truly nature. The natural course of things is for man to hunt. That's why it fulfill those of us who love it. It's nature just the same as a lion hunts and eats the antelope. Thats why sometimes instead of being kinder and gentler we grunt and get animalistic. It's natural. In order for us to keep that we need to share it. They will get hooked on it like we are if we give them the opportunity to fall in love with it. Sometimes that means being tollerant of occasional crying and unwise decisions. Like the walking shot in the brush. I did see that and my thoughts were,"I think she should have shot sooner when he was in the open." That is all part of growing as a hunter or huntress if you will. Some folks have the inherent knowledge of when to and not to shoot or move or turn their head to look. Some need to work hard to learn it and some will never learn it and will always need the savvy hunter to "hold their had" as it were. That is our obligation to the sport.
Please be patient with those who are less savvy than others. Help them. And if they cry because they missed or made a bad hit, hug them if need be and tell them it will work out. Worst case scenario -- a hard lesson learned. Best case -- a new hunter in our ranks. I know this is not the way is used to be GBrown. But this is the way the world is turning out to be. Times are different now and we must be different.
I know I am on my soapbox here GB, but I vowed years ago to do what I can to make sure the antis don't win. Short of declaring war on them and breaking out the assault weapons, this is the direction we need to go. Thanks for reading my post guys. Sorry about the long winded speech though.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Hey Everyone!
New to this board but I just wanted to jump on andfirst and foremost sayTHANKS so much for watching the show!!!! We really appreciate the support and feedback.

Gbrownlee, with all due respect, I apologize if I offended youby taking what you felt was an unethical shot. However, pleaseremember that the camera angle can be much different than the angle of the hunter. In the case of this elk, from my angle, I had a very clear shot in terms of the brushbut unfortunatelyjust misjudged the distance. I hope I can say I'm not the only bowhunter who has done that? Luckily, though, that miss was the only miss I had last season....We want to show things just how they happen in the field and hope the viewers feel like they are there with us... hence "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". I do want to say however, when it comes to takingunethicalshots,this is something that is very important to me. I personally willnever take theshot if I do not feelcomfortable with it or if it isone that I do not feel I'm capable of making. I would much rather watch the animal walk off than try to force a bad shot.

Our 3 shows prior to the elk show that you're referring to were 1) our good friend Mark Drury shooting a whitetail in Wyoming (no crying :-) 2) Rick and his Dad hunting in Wyoming (still no crying :-) and 3) team member Justin Petersonalso shooting a deer in Wyoming (not sure if he cried! ;-). In one of these shows, Ididpass an old 3x3 mature mule deer at a water hole and if anyone was crying, it was Rickbecause I passed the deer! :-) This past year Rick and I wanted to bring the viewers fair chase hunting with a bow on the ground with no blinds in the wide open. Bottomline, when you expose yourself in open country or only take what Mother Nature gives you with respect to the terrain and cover,we get caught... a lot...but we're ok with that.With that being said though,we also had one of the best seasons we've ever had. The challenge and the chaseare what we are addicted to...not the kill. The kill isa bonus!

Although I've been bowhunting with Rick for 11 years now, true, I am not a seasoned bowhunter.I've beenblessed to have my fair share of kills but I feel like every day in the field, I have an opportunity to learn something.If I didn'thave the true emotions I do while I'm hunting, then I'd quit.I have a tremendous amount of respect for the sport and the animals we hunt.I'm also very fortunate to have a great coach therefore, with all due respect, I don'tfeel my judgementhas been clouded. ;-)

Again thanks so much for watching and Turkeyward... congrats to your wife on her bull!! More and more women and kids are getting into the sport and that's awesome!

Best of luck to everyone this spring!
Julie K
Beyond The Hunt
Old 04-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Everyone makes such good points in this thread. A lot of hunting shows probably show some acting for after the shot reactions...but, thats the way it is on tv I guess. However, as stated I am sure most of these people and hunters and outdoorsman in general are just really good people who enjoy the piece and quiet and wildness that the woods (outdoors) have to offer. I love hearing the whistling of duck wings over my head before its light enough to see or the crunch of feet in the snow as a deer walks towards me unseen, or a big owl flying down a tote road, or the good times had over a nice fire with my family at lunch time during deer season, or just that inviting log to sit on while pounding the thickets for grouse and woodcock on a warm October day. I think that is why we are out here, and probabl Julie as well. My daughter is going to be 4 in July in she has been walking with me grouse hunting and fishing too. She is really into it and has a good eye. She even shot her .22 on easter for the first time with Dad's help of course.
So, yes, lets all be a little more tolerant, and all be sportsman and stick together and bring as many new people in as we can, for that is the only way to keep this great sport alive!
Old 04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

The future!!

My daughter Jasmine on easter day 2009. Never to early to start teaching.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: turkeyward

Hey GBrown:
I liked your last post. I believe you get what I am saying. Truth is, its very rare to find a hunter who is not a good person. I believe you are a good guy too. I also believe you understand what we are up against with the antis and all the folks who want to take away our lifestyle because they do not agree with it. For the most part one of our weaknesses is the fact that nearly all decent sportsmen are live and let live kind of guys. However for some reason we seem to get into pissin' matches sometimes about things we feel are manly man stuff. There is a time for the burpin', fartin', story tellin' and keeping score. However that sort of stuff should never be at the expense of our sport nor should it be at the expense of the desires of those who are just new to hunting or just thinking about joining the ranks of our sport. All I am trying to say is we macho man hunters should know when to say when. Sometimes we need to be the gentle father, uncle, brother or husband. A kinder gentler man in order to share some of our way of life with those who do not have the opportunity we have to know how stalking and hunting and attempting to outsmart a cagey old buck or bull refuels our souls. It's truly nature. The natural course of things is for man to hunt. That's why it fulfill those of us who love it. It's nature just the same as a lion hunts and eats the antelope. Thats why sometimes instead of being kinder and gentler we grunt and get animalistic. It's natural. In order for us to keep that we need to share it. They will get hooked on it like we are if we give them the opportunity to fall in love with it. Sometimes that means being tollerant of occasional crying and unwise decisions. Like the walking shot in the brush. I did see that and my thoughts were,"I think she should have shot sooner when he was in the open." That is all part of growing as a hunter or huntress if you will. Some folks have the inherent knowledge of when to and not to shoot or move or turn their head to look. Some need to work hard to learn it and some will never learn it and will always need the savvy hunter to "hold their had" as it were. That is our obligation to the sport.
Please be patient with those who are less savvy than others. Help them. And if they cry because they missed or made a bad hit, hug them if need be and tell them it will work out. Worst case scenario -- a hard lesson learned. Best case -- a new hunter in our ranks. I know this is not the way is used to be GBrown. But this is the way the world is turning out to be. Times are different now and we must be different.
I know I am on my soapbox here GB, but I vowed years ago to do what I can to make sure the antis don't win. Short of declaring war on them and breaking out the assault weapons, this is the direction we need to go. Thanks for reading my post guys. Sorry about the long winded speech though.
TW, I understand where you are coming from. I respect your "war" on the Antis and view on taking new hunters and showing them the right way.I take kids, my girlfriend and new hunters out all the time, and I see a lot of emotion. I have seen people cry while hunting, bothyoung and old (not "old", but not a kid) and I get it. Just this weekend I took a kid who missed his first turkey and he was on the verge of tears. I understand it, and I helped his spirits by telling him that there were lots of birds and gave him pointers on what when wrong. He was fine and even joked about it 30 minutes later. I really think my original post came off wrong, then the next one came off really harsh, as if I had something against the people on the show. Call it a pissing match after the first post where you replied, but I tried to strengthen my argument by putting her/others down. (again, really not my style). If you look at my post history, I NEVER post these types of "questions", dont know what compelled me to do so but I did it. Maybe the offseason has "clouded" my dicision making.

As for you Julie:

I will go ahead and say it, I am a little embarressed thatyou got on here and put me in my place.As stated above, I didnt really think this thread would go inthe direction it went, and ended up saying things that I knew weren't really necessary.You did not offend me in any way by crying. The shows I was talking about was the antelopeat the water hole and the elk hunts.Although I feel like a dick (I'm not, I promise) I am glad you didso that I could get an insite onhow things on your end of the camera work. I have no idea how I would do on a show that airs on national television, maybe I would look like an idiot, maybe I would be the next shockey (though probably the latter..).Iknow I look likea fool frommy previous post and know I seemed a bit insensative, and I appologize for that.

I understand that I came off as an A-Hole, but I am really not. By reading my posts you may note my extensive use of the word "maybe". That right there shows that I dont know everything and can be wrong just like everyone else. Sorry again for any offense I have caused to you or anyone reading.

Greg
Old 04-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Greg:
Classy move there bud. I had a feeling reading between the lines there that you might be a good guy. I understand a bad day and a cabin fever rant. However we need to all be very careful not to alienate any one (unless they deserve it). From what I saw here, you are welcome in my camp any time. One thing I have always said. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. The true character of a person is how he/she takes care of or corrects his/her mistakes. One needs to do whatever it takes to make things right. Good recovery there friend. Now lets all go forward and carry on the battle against those who would like to take our lifestyle and our freedoms away from us.

Quick Reply: Television show: Beyond the hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.