Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Farthest Shot You Will Take?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Farthest Shot You Will Take?

Anything that gets within 150 yards, I'll lob an arrow at it. It's like the lottery with a sharp pointy tip, and a lot more entertaining, unless you actually hit the Powerball, then that would be more fun.

Mike
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

40 yards is the farthest I would consider and that would be under optimum conditions feeling confident. No wind, no large jackets to constrict me and no deer thats on alert.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:44 AM

Ive taken an 82 yards shot,was so close http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/micons/m13.gif
Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on what I'm shooting at. The vital area is larger on larger animals, generally speaking.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

20 to 25 yards max. Some days It's even less that that, depends on how I'm feeling and shooting at the time before I go out on each hunt.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

I'd say i'm most comfortable with shots at 35yds or less but i've shot a Bullelk at 50yds and i'm not even gonna tell ya the last two antelope shots i made. But I'd rather have them close.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 AM

I wouldn't take one over 35 yards.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Out to to 45 yards I feel extremely confident, further then that I need things picture perfect and even then?? Assuming the perfect situation arose I'd limit myself to 60 ish as a max. FWIW I practice on 3d targets and out to 100 yards regularly, here on the prairie's shots of 20 yarddon't come along often enough for me not to practice and hone for further ranges.When it comes to deer & elkI'd say my average shot has been the low 30's. Howeverforbears and moose I haven't needed more then 25 yards.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Spike

One can shoot as far as one wants.. No one will know unless you connect.. Then you can add your yardsup and tell your story..

Me.. I can not put a number on it.. so I won't.. But I have taken deer at a good distance... Prolly too far for some ..I've missed deer at close distances.. Prolly to close for any proficient archer to miss.. It happens!! ..

But if we all hunt in a way that tells us what to do by a set number or distance.. Where is the adventure? Heck This is a ethics ? None of us needs to live with a poor hit on a lost animal.. It sucks..It is a terrible feeling and I can not wish it on anyone.. To say some shoot too far... is not going to change how far they shoot... The only thing that will is that feeling we all will eventually haveof a lost anima or a missed opportunity... I know one guy who claims to be a huge sportsman,, involved in many big shot roles in hunting groups yet he could not manage to get a arrow in a deer at distances less than 15 yrds until his 4th try last fall and that deer would not have been recovered if it was not stumbled on.. Is 15 yrds ethical distance???

NH
Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

I missed a shot at a huge 10 point buck about three years ago...my bow is set with a Keller pendelum sight that automatically compensates for range out to 35 yards...which is how far I thought the deer was...unfortunately it was 43 yards to recover the arrow that missed about 1 inch low.

The longest sucessful shot I have made was at 35 yards quartering slightly towards...the arrow passed through the left lung, clipped the liver, plowed through the guts, before busting through the right femur exiting. The deer went 50 yards before piling up.

Quick Reply: Farthest Shot You Will Take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.