HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Are Gun hunters using tree stands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/292274-gun-hunters-using-tree-stands.html)

MaineMan169 04-19-2009 01:31 PM

Are Gun hunters using tree stands

I got in a big arguement with my brother he's a bow hunter and I prefer a rifle, handgun or muzzleloader, you know I like to hear the bang. He claims gun hunters don't use tree stands. I know in Maine we do. What does any one think?

kevin1 04-19-2009 01:58 PM

RE: Are Gun hunters using tree stands

I recently saw a figure that stated that 94% of hunters surveyed hunt from a tree or ladder stand.

J The Deer Slayer 04-19-2009 02:01 PM

When I'm in the woods you'll find me in the thick ****.;)

salukipv1 04-19-2009 02:16 PM

IL gun hunters use treestands... not always but almost always.

nchawkeye 04-19-2009 02:21 PM

Your brother doesn't know what he is talking about...

Why would the weapon determine if you hunted from a tree stand or not???

I hunt with bow, muzzleloader and centerfire...I use treestands to get my scent above the deer's nose, for the advantage of seeing above vegetation and being above the deer's line of sight...

The weapon has nothing to do with it...

tyleryeags 04-19-2009 03:20 PM

i hunt on the ground but i only rifle hunt i dont go archery hunting

Lyncher68 04-19-2009 06:41 PM

I do bow, muzzy, and shotgun all from a tree :D I do use groundblinds occassionally, but usually for gobblers or coyotes :)

timbercruiser 04-19-2009 07:16 PM

I will use ladder stands, climbers, bait, plots, sex lures or anything else that is legal.

leadoperator 04-19-2009 08:11 PM

I know alot of guys that use treestands when hunting with a rifle. Its the preferred way to hunt around here in my area.

cardeeer 04-20-2009 02:09 AM

I have a tree codo.8 x 8 x 8 . Roof, windows that open and close. A heater, swivel chair and a gun vise that swivels. I often spend the night in it. Stair steps and railings. I am disabled. I have taken old disguarded artificial christmas trees and made it look like a big evergreen tree. It over looks a 2 acre grass and clover field on one side and a creek bed on the other side.

stretch56 04-20-2009 02:42 AM

I hunt from a ladder stand about 75% of the time

thndrchiken 04-20-2009 07:03 AM

I don't always hunt from a stand. Usually the first two or three days I'll be in a stand or blind at first and last light. During midday I'll get up and move around to survey the area or move into a different area.

Jimmy S 04-20-2009 08:54 AM

I hunt as high as I can during most of the deer seasons. A few other guys in camp do the same and always prefer to be in a treestand.
A few other buddies always hunt from the ground. They want no part of treestands and do as well as most other guys.

SWThomas 04-20-2009 09:10 AM

I've hunted tree stands before. It's nice and I will do it again. But I prefer ground blinds.

driftrider 04-20-2009 09:26 AM

I gun hunt exclusively, and I have and will use a stand if one is available and the conditions are right to use it, and so does my brother who's also a gun only hunter. I probably do 90% of my hunting from the ground either walking or sitting against a tree, because I like the flexibility of being able to easily move if conditions change.

I don't know why your brother thinks that gun hunters do not use tree stands. The purpose of the stand remains the same regardless of the type of weapon used, which is to get the hunter up and out of the deer's line-of-sight. Stands are also useful for gun hunters to allow them to take advantage of the rifle's reach, because the higher vantage point allows the rifle hunter to see farther, have a less obstructed shot, and ensures that he's almost always shooting down toward the ground for safety.

Mike

superstrutter 04-20-2009 11:33 AM

What's the problem with gun hunting out of a tree stand? All of my deer hunting, whether gun or bow, is done out of some type of stand. I sometimes bow and gun hunt out of the same lock ons. I usually gun hunt out of a tripod.

Remfire 04-20-2009 12:12 PM

I mainly use a climbing tree stand when using a rifle,shotgun,or primitive weapon.I also set up a couple of ladder stands.The only time I hunt from the ground is when we run dogs about a week each season.

bugsNbows 04-20-2009 01:01 PM

Of course gun hunters use tree stands.

mnprohunter 04-20-2009 01:49 PM

I hunt from treestands, however I have to say that almost all of my deer have been shot from the ground and not from the stand, but, still I use them...specifically on early and afternoon sits.

Mojotex 04-20-2009 02:36 PM

You win. Been using tree stands since 1960's. It was home-made ladders back then. Started using a "climber" with the original "Baker" back in the 1970's. Man how the designs have improved!!! You could not pay me enough $$$ to get me in one of these Baker's again ... though at the time they were the cat's meow. Also use lock-on's and commercially built ladder stands for hunting out of trees.

Many, many of my buddies use tree stands as well. Most popular makes down this way are Summit, API and Ol' Man.

rustynobles 04-22-2009 02:11 PM

Gun hunting from a treestand is safer for everyone on the ground, the bullet is less likely to go astray, and it has all the advantages everyone has already mentioned. I don't know how you guys do it in Maine, but everybody around here only hunts in blinds kind of as a novelty, or they hunt from the ground when running dogs, that's about it, the rest of the time it's up in the air.
[align=left] [/align]

thunderchickenfrenzy 04-22-2009 05:58 PM

When deer hunting 99% of the time im 16ft up in the tree from shooting them with a Bow or Gun.

Schultzy 04-23-2009 05:48 AM

I think I'm getting where your coming from (more driving then stand hunting). I don't gun hunt but the majority of the gun hunters around here will last about an hour In the stand and there off to do their driving. They live and breath deer drives around here. To be honest I don't mind It when the neighboring land owners do deer drives, I usually know when there going to do It so I'll set up In my woods where the deer usually go when pushed. I think I see more deer then they do.:D

MaineMan169 04-23-2009 07:13 AM

I thank everyone who gave their opinion. This proves my point other gun hunters do use stands. Just like I do!

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 04-23-2009 12:45 PM

I don't know of anyone using tree stands for rifle hunting in Oregon... Just about everyone does for bowhunting though!

GTOHunter 04-27-2009 03:01 PM

Years ago here in Missouri we Hunted mostly from the ground or we built sitting stands up in tree's to be able to see and shoot longer distances and have a better view of the Deer in thicker cover or tall grass.With all the new and safer tree stands available today it is better to purchase one of them than to try and build one out of lumber.I have a large 2-man ladder stand, 3 single-man ladder stands,a ground blind and a climbing stand that I Rifle Hunt and Bow Hunt out of every year and I still do some Still Hunting and Stalking ifI don't see much movement and feel the need to move around.I love hunting out ofa ladder stand because I can see further and control/command a larger area mostly because of the terrain in which I hunt,if you limit yourself to only 1 style or type of hunting your missing out on a lot of new and exciting ways to increase your chances of harvesting a Deer!

rozman62 04-27-2009 03:44 PM

I conduct all my hunting business 20ft off the ground. The business end of all my hunting weapons, be it a point or a projectile, usually finds it mark.

tnt1960 05-12-2009 12:46 PM

For me, it depends on the weather. If it`s nice out, I will be up in a tree. But if it calls for rain, I will sit in my pop-up blind to stay dry.

wis_rifle_hunter 05-12-2009 01:02 PM

i bow and gun hunt out of treestands and ground blinds. i use the same stand for everything

WVCritter 05-12-2009 01:26 PM

I seldom ever gun hunt from a stand and always bow hunt from one. The terrain here in WV where I hunt is pretty steep and I prefer to have some mobility if I hear someone else shooting nearby.

SGT.H 05-12-2009 01:59 PM

I use one 99% of the time. Bow and Gun.

Siman08/OH 05-12-2009 02:50 PM

This is rediculuous.

Of course gun hunter use stands, what kinda question is that?

IL-Cornfed 05-12-2009 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

IL gun hunters use treestands... not always but almost always.

Yes they do, certainly the bvast majority. In fact, EVERY gun hunter I know uses treestands or ground blinds. The only exception seems to be the small numbers of hunters who "drive" (utilize forced movement) for deer on the last day or so of the season.

deerhunter729 05-12-2009 06:33 PM

I use what ever the hunt is going to require. Sometime its on the ground and sometimes its in a tree. I've used my bow and gun on both situations. All my friends who gun hunt use stands also.

trmichels 05-13-2009 02:30 AM

Treestands are the preferred way to hunt deer with a gun, here in MN, and across North America.

SWThomas 05-13-2009 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: trmichels

Treestands are the preferred way to hunt deer with a gun, here in MN, and across North America.
Way to go Captain Obvious! Did you come to that conclusion all by yourself of did the highly slanted poll influence that extremely rhetorical post of yours?

Doe Dumper 05-13-2009 07:00 PM

Treestand for me the first couple of days and then its sneak time.

Diesel77 05-14-2009 03:57 AM

I feel I can see more from a stand especially by the time gun season comes when the majority if not all the leaves are down making me able to get further shots and see more activity.

HoosierHunter79 05-14-2009 09:35 AM

I say your brothers a dumba**

Valentine 05-17-2009 06:05 AM

I was strictly a ground pounder in the northern climes. But in the South, I got scented too many times on warm humid days.

Planning to get a blind for multiple use, for summer photo shoots and using it during hunting season along with the tree stand. Will work good on cool rainy days late in the season, or just plain cool days. The bones are not getting any younger.

Avoid a tree stand in the south, and learn the hard way. Leaves still on the trees during gun season.