Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what was your first deer?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what was your first deer?

My 1st was a 3 pt when I was 16 (1st legal year to deer hunt) here in NY. 12 years ago now, seems like yesterday.

I was watching a brushy side hill. After a coyote didn't offer a shot the 3 pt appeared and was sneaking down a stone wall fence. Using my grandfathers pump action 30-06 I put the cross hairs on him and pulled the trigger.....nothing. Damn shell was jammed. I hurried to fix the problem and after I got reloaded the deer was gone, man was I bummed. 5 minutes later he reappeared from behind some thick brush and I touched one off. After the shot I didn't see him running but i also didn't see him down. I thought the worst and decided to go see if there was any sign....sure enough there he was laying in waist high brush and burdock. I went back to the truck and honked the horn three times, signaling to my grandfather that I got one. We went back to the deer and he told me he would show me how to field dress the 1st one but after this one I was on my own. We then dragged him back to the truck and while doing so one of his antler jabbed me in the pants and ripped a hole in my brand new Browning hydro fleece pants. Seems like yesterday.... people always say shooting your 1st deer is a memory you will never forget.

My cousin shot a 3 ptr (his 1st deer) with that same gun 10 yrs prior in almost the exact same spot.

My 1st deer

Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

I shot my first deer without knowing whether it was a buck or a doe until I walked up on him, turned out to be a small 4 point.

I was hunting a trail with dense woods on each side, the deer jumped out onto the trail and landed on the far side of the trail; he was jumping over a mud puddle. If he had taken 2 more steps he would have been gone. I shot quickly without having time to determine whether it was a buck or a doe, turned out to be the small 4 point.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Mine was a forked horn buck when I was 9.