HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   do you cut up you own deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/290589-do-you-cut-up-you-own-deer.html)

nathanyeck 03-30-2009 07:06 AM

do you cut up you own deer?

we have done our own deer now for about 5 years how many of you do?
and how do you do it?
what is the best knives for doing it? were can we get them?

halcon 03-30-2009 07:42 AM

RE: do you cut up you own deer?

Pretty much the same as you would cut a beef , except I put more of it into hamburger thanI do when I cut a beef . Quite a bit goes into jerky also . Mainly I use a large chef knife ,a boning knife ,a grinder ,smoker and a vacumn sealer . I got my setup a piecehere and there over time but mostly at a resturant supply . Started when I was twelve years old ,my dad said if you kill it you take care of it .

omegasmoke 03-30-2009 08:58 AM

I've been cutting all mine for about 10 yrs or so now. My wife is not a big fan of venison so she rarely cooks it. I cured that problem by using probably around 80% for jerky. The boys and I love it and it usually goes quickly.

Stonewall308 03-30-2009 09:05 AM

I have only shot two so far so it isn't worth the investment to me to buy the equipment. I have to drive 3.5 hours to hunt, some years I only get two or three days of hunting.

But it is a skill I would like to learn.

nchawkeye 03-30-2009 09:07 AM

I have never had a processor do my deer...We used to butcher 20 pigs a year and smoked and processed our on hams, sausage, etc...

We kill 40-50 deer a year and can have one butchered and on ice in about 30 minutes...
Typically, I bone out the whole deer...If the hunter wants whole hams, I seperate at the ball and socket joint...To me this is easier than messing with a saw and the pee sack...

I use a 3-3 1/2 inch drop point for most of my skinning and boning work...I have a Buck Duke and a Scherade Pro Hunter (USA made)...

Remfire 03-30-2009 09:31 AM

I quarter and debone all of the meat I can.I do take it to be processed into sausage,burger,bacon burger,etc.though.

brushbustin 03-30-2009 09:33 AM

I only cut the small ones up!If it is a big buck or big doe,i'll pay $50 to have it all cut up into steaks and burger!

bobcats40 03-30-2009 09:41 AM

I have processed my game my entire life. Bone it out, cut into steaks and roast with a filet knife, neck meat and scaps for stew meat or grind it up for hamburger.

vmartin 03-30-2009 10:51 AM

one of the best things about deer hunting is hanging up the deer in the garage and inviting friends over to clean the deer and have some beers!

Redclub 03-30-2009 11:03 AM

I always cut up my own, make my own burger ,but not sausage. Hang em by the head, skin ,then cut the loins/chops off. Then take hindquarters off (boned). Remove all scraps for burger, take a neck roast and use a skil saw for ribs, (best part). Slip a large garbage bag over carcass and throw in garbage.Or if its winter throw carcass in OUR woods for critters and birds to feed on
RC