Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do you cut up you own deer?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: do you cut up you own deer?

I do my own and use a small fillet knife to bone it and a larger fillet knife to cut steaks. I take it out to get burger and sausage though but I plan on getting a grinder so I can do that myself.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I do all of my own. Only thing I make into steaks is the backstrap and loin chops. The rest gets ground up because I like jerky made from ground venison better than whole muscle jerky, just my preference. Anyway, I grind it up into burger and put it in 1-5 pound packages and we can mix it with hamburger, make summer sausage, chili, jerky, etc year round. I am very meticulous about getting the meat clean and all of the silverflesh and tendons off so it takes me quite a while to do it but it is worth the time to me. I don't really care what knife I use for removing the meat from teh bone and cutting it up to grind as long as it is sharp. I usually have 5 knives available to use so I will always have a sharp knife ready.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cut all my own meat. In terms ofgame if possible I de-bone it while hanging(temp/time allows), remove the front shoulders, loins, tenders and then finally the hams. Meat is split into grilling steaks, cultlets and trim groups. I don't do roasts and do ground jerky.

As far as knives I highly recommend: Forschner/Victorinox

I prefer the fibrox handle to rosewoods. They are excellent knives, variety of size/styles/ and reasonably priced. They can be purchased online or at most local cutlery shops.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I cut my own and never get it processed as I suspect you get some of your meat back as well as some other hunters meat. I use a boning knife and a fillet knife and hone them up every 30 min or so. I take the time to trim off all the white so it takes me about 4.5 hours per deer. The front shoulders and half the neck get ground and thelower half of the neck goes to stew meat. If I run short on stew meat I start cubing up steaks from the rear qrts.I will also take larger rear chunks and cut up into K-Bob size chunks to grill with veggies. I butcher up about 5-8 per year.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

always do my own processing. don't trust the shops to give me my meat back. i have a grinder and a cuber.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

But it is a skill I would like to learn.
I taught myself from a book by Leonard LeeRue III "After you deer is down"
Backstraps for the grill, Some steaks for the skillet, Chunks for stew and shish-ka-bobs, scraps for grinding. Alot of the meat I keep in whole chunks to be ground or sliced as needed throughout the year. I make my own, Summer Sausage, Polish Kielbasy, Breakfast and Italian Sausage, Hot dogs,Pastrami,Jerkey and Venison Sticks. I guess I just like eating, and it shows.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

sometimes I do my own... sometimes I have the butcher do them... it all depends on what time of year I shoot them and how much free time I have... Early season I generally bring to the butcher because of the temps... later in the year I usually do my own when I can let them hang for a day or two.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 AM

i may be working for a proceses place next deer season
Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always cut up my own. Doesn't matter to me if it's a deer, elk, moose or whatever, I'm doing the deboning. A good saw, boning knife and you are good to go.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

we always process our owndeer I usually always debone mine & cut it all up in small chunks & can it all in a pressure cooker.

Quick Reply: do you cut up you own deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.