Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sportsmanship disgust on TV

Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sportsmanship disgust on TV

The only ones I really enjoy are those that combine truly free range and absolutely 100% fair chase hunting, with no bait being used and give you some sort of "lesson". Unfortunately that combo is not generally the rule ... which definitely includes Buck Mc ____'s junk.

I happened, totally by chance, to be in a Montana mule deer camp when one of the better known "Hunting Club" folk and video team were there ML hunting as well. The final video was indeed 100% the "truth". He did kill a fine mule deer with a ML. And the conditions were indeed tough ... blowing snow and temps near 0F almost all week. Friday was something like -15F. What was missing in the final cut of the video was the 2 shots missed ... one due to the total malfunction of a sponsor's equipment. If I recall correctly they missed a whole day while a replacement was over-nighted. The other was how shall I put this ... "operator error". But heck we all have missed or if not, will eventually miss. It would be totally unfair if I were not to mention that these folks were great guys to be around. They just had a tough week.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Everything these days is commercialized and sensationalized. That is just the way it goes,

Tred Barta is the worst. How many hundreds of shots has he completely missed with that stupid long bow he always uses? Probably an average of three missed shots per show. Yet they have never shown him wounding an animal. You mean to tell me this guy always gets a kill shot or misses cleanly?!? Yeah right. I'd pay to know how many animals he has wounded and lost. All so he can do it "the hard way, the Barta way," what a load of manure.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

These shows are, by necessity, all about the money shot. Think about it, how many folks are gonna tune in if they get 20 minutes straight of somebody like bill Dance casting for bass and not even getting a hit. Ditto for hunting shows. Doubt that many folks would regularly tune in to watch some bowhunter send his first arrow six inches over the deer head, then the next one six inches under its stomach, then stick the third in its butt.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all about the money with very little intended to educate.
Some shows have almost a dozen advvertisers, seems more time is spent on watching commercials than the actual show.

Plus most of these shows are located in the mid-west or down south and usually overlooking food plots or fields from a tower.
They make it look so easy to drag out a beautuful buck and I feel it sometimes gives non-hunters the wrong impression.
I have no problem with real hunters that hunt that way and I wish them all the luck, but I have little interest in watching that typeof show for 30 min.

Very little is ever filmed in New England or the northeast because it's simply much more difficult and costly.
For once, I would like to see Jackie Bushman, Bill Jordanor others try to shoot a big old, wise New England buck.
Can Bushman or Jordan succesfully drag outone of our bucks with no feeders or guides....I have my doubts.
Until then, I will continue to watch my favorite hunting family - The Benoits.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

i still watch occasionally, but I think it has hurt the general hunting community... everyone is after these monster whitetais, which are not very realistic to many of the nation's hunters... The hole score thing and everything...
I am all for QDMA if the circumstance are right.... but many young hunters may become discouraged rather easily when they find out it isn't like that.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

i still watch occasionally, but I think it has hurt the general hunting community... everyone is after these monster whitetais, which are not very realistic to many of the nation's hunters... The hole score thing and everything...
I am all for QDMA if the circumstance are right.... but many young hunters may become discouraged rather easily when they find out it isn't like that.
I completely agree - very well said!