Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need a little help here..

Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a little help here..

Rob, I have an A-Bolt WSM .270. You may want to look at something like this. The bullets are a little more expensive, but it's a sweet gun.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Guns are flying out the doors around here,And Ammo shelves are always empty. A friend went to gethis permit to carry a concealed weapon the other day. Sheriff toldhim when ask. His county has issued over 10,000 new permits just since January 1. He said it appears people are just fed up with the gun grabbers and getting ready to fight back.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I really considered a 270 WSM, and I love the one my brother has, but I really don't think I am going to see much of a difference with a 270 Win and the ammo is going to be that much cheaper, and I already have a small inventory of 270 ammo, so I think I am going to stick with my caliber choice.

Thanks for the input guys, I still have a little while to think about it but hopefully I can put my money toward my rifle one way or another, and if not I will probably end up getting a used rifle is some sort of varmint caliber. I have kind of been wanting one for a while now anyway.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a muzzle loader set-up? lots of fun shooting and depending upon the season where you hunt, might give you a few more days to hunt deer. here in Alabama, the last 5 days of "archery only" are now open to ML hunting. I hunt in Arkansas too, and they have had several days of ML only. With $500 you could buy a darn good rifle, and maybe some ML "stuff" too.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

Good thinking.. That never even crossed my mind. I am going to look in to that for sure. Thanks a lot. I have some research to do now.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would consider the Remington 700 camo in .270. I got one for my grandson at Christmas at Wal Mart for $503 including tax. They have been around for over 50 years and is time proven as a very dependable rifle.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Well here is an update. Thanks for the input from you guys, I still couldn't figure out anything else to use my gift cards on so I asked the guy if they had ANY A-bolt Medallions in 270, so he went and looked and brought out this one. Its the Grade III with octogon barrel and I decided to just get it. I am very happy with it, and excited to shoot it. I got the scope mounted on it today, but didn't feel like taking it out in the rain to shoot it, so maybe next weekend.. I will try to report back to let you know how she shoots. Here is some pics.

And here is one with it next to my brother's X-bolt 270 WSM

Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice, you should be happy with that. The wood looks pretty nice too. Don't tell your brother, but yours looks nicer than his. The X-Bolt is nice, but I still like the A-Bolts a little better.

Mike