Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need a little help here..

Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default I need a little help here..

So, a couple of months ago I went in to our local gun shop and asked the guy about a rifle. I made up my mind that I wanted a Browning A Bolt Medallion in 270 and I wanted it new, but last years model because I didn't want the BOSS. He told me that they had some coming in, although he didn't know when, and that I could put my name down to get one when they arrived. I asked what the price would be and he told me $550, and I didn't even have to think about it. So I have stopped in and called several times to see if it had come in, and it still hasn't and they still don't have a clue when it is coming. Not a huge deal, but I would like it at least a couple of months before the deer season starts so we can get to know eachother.

Now about 3 weeks ago, our local radio station was having an online auction for gift certificates to some local stores. I thought I would have to be stupid not to win a couple of these gift cards since I was going to spend the money there anyway, and I bought 2 $250 cards for this store. Well when I went in and picked them up, they tell me that I have 30 days to use them.

So now my rifle still isn't in, and I have to spend $500 within the next week, and I am wondering what I should spend it on.

Some things I am considering.

Asking if they have the same gun with the BOSS on it.
Used smaller caliber rifle for Varmint hunting.
Some kind of handgun

Here is my current gun inventory. My deer rifle that I have been using for a few years, that I will give back to my dad when I get my new one, Over/Under shotgun, pump shotgun, and a 17 HMR. I also have a bow that I bought last year, a new set of bino's that I bought in the fall, and my new scope and rings for my rifle.

If I didn't already have the scope this wouldn't be too tough of a decision to make. And I guess there just really isn't anything else that I need right now. I am kind of leaning towards buying a smaller caliber rifle just because it would be fun, but I don't think I would use it that much.

So there you go, I have $500 to spend, what do I spend it on??
Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a little help here..

You can't put the money down on the gun?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I haven't asked about that yet. I am going to go in there tomorrow and get it straightened out, that would be an option.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they can't give you a ballpark figure on when they'll get the gun in, then I wouldn't put a dime down on it. If they can get it, they should be able to special order it right away and not make you wait until they feel like ordering some in, if they can at all.

As for the $500 worth of gift cards you bought for yourself (not really sure why you did that ), since you're in a hurry to get rid of them before they expire (which seems odd to me, too), you could always put that money toward another rifle to suit your needs instead of the Browning. If you have your heart set on the A-Bolt, and you don't handload, you might consider investing in a handloading setup.

I guess I don't really have your problem, as I can easily find a way to blow $500 in a big-box sporting goods store if my wife would let me!

Regarding the A-Bolt Medallion, are you dead set on getting a 270 Win? Why now consider betting one in a similar cartridge like .280 Rem, .270 WSM, 7mm-08, or .25-06? Any of those would perform very well as a deer rifle.

You can also try buying online to get the rifle you want. Look here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125248870

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125011247

I just bought my first gun online last week through a dealer on gunbroker.com, and the transaction went very smoothly.

My only other suggestion would be to never buy gift cards when you have cash, especially ones that expire in 30 days with no refund! [:@]

Mike
Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Okay I didn't know that they expired until after I bought them, and they only cost me $330. That is why I got them. I am pretty sure I am going to get the A-Bolt whether I can use the gift cards on it or not, you can't get a deal like that anywhere. I don't have a problem spending 500 bones at the sporting goods store, I just don't know what to spend it on.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rimjob_rob

Okay I didn't know that they expired until after I bought them, and they only cost me $330. That is why I got them. I am pretty sure I am going to get the A-Bolt whether I can use the gift cards on it or not, you can't get a deal like that anywhere. I don't have a problem spending 500 bones at the sporting goods store, I just don't know what to spend it on.
Ok, that makes sense.

Like I said, you could look into a handloading setup, or a rangefinder, or a new blind/treestand, etc...

Mike

Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Buy another rifle! Or maybe a range finder! if you plan on shooting any distances the range finder is a must!
-Jake
Old 03-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

If they can't give you a ballpark figure on when they'll get the gun in, then I wouldn't put a dime down on it. If they can get it, they should be able to special order it right away and not make you wait until they feel like ordering some in, if they can at all.
Guys, the dealer is very likely telling the truth. Browning is not known for being very fast on shipping. We are a premier Browning dealer and when we place our orders every year we never know what they are going to ship first and when they are going to ship it. We are completely at the mercy of Browning or any other manufacturer.

All of the gun manufacturers are notorious for this and alsoholding onto firearms if they know a price increase is coming. Sometimes we don't get certain firearms for an entire year. Once the price increase takes place they suddenly show up. Amazing!

He might be able to find the rifle that you are looking for from a distributor but I doubt you will get the same price.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

see if he has any tikka rifles,i like them better then the a-bolt
Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ide stock up on ammunition before its priced so high we cant afford it at all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.