Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Help me score these sheds..... >

Help me score these sheds.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me score these sheds.....

Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help me score these sheds.....

I was out scouting turkeys today with my nephew and I found these two sheds together about 30 yards from my girlfriends stand location. I know its difficult without knowing an accurate spread. Just give me a guess. I have pics of every buck on my place (or so I thought) and my girlfriend and I never saw this deer one time. Not on trail cams or anything. I am really baffled because we know the deer on our place pretty well (or so we thought). I have some really freakish big deer on my place but I think this guy may be the king. Good thing is he is still alive! Anyone know how many days until the archery opener? My God I can't wait.

To help out a little the circumference of the bases is 5.5 inches on each side. The total beam length on the right antler is 23 and the left is 25.75. The G3 on the right antler is 13.5. The G2 on the left antler is 13.5. This deer is a 5x7. I think he will score well. Tell me what you think.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me score these sheds.....

Good Lord! What a find! I'm just going to throw this out there, but I think he will gross 165". Somewhere around there I would imagine would be close. Not sure on what state your from, but in my part of IL. he seems to have the mass of a 4 yr. old deer. That is good news for you. I would make this deer a special project. No doubt he will be a booner this coming season.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

After doing some figuring, I have him at 174" gross. I came up with 85" on the left antler, 72" on the right antler and I gave him a respectable 17" inside spread. Your holding a gross booner in your hands!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Fork Horn

I was thinking around there too. I had no idea this deer was on my place until I found those horns yesterday. It's my mission to kill this deer. I now know where he hangs out. That's half the battle. Now I just need to figure out what time.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

with all the measurements you've provided, what's the problem with estimating score, other than guessing width? All the bench marks have been provided to be REAL close to all other existing measurements.

Real nice buck/find tho!! Congrats.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around 170.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably around 165-170 inches. hes going to be a great buck this year. good luck
Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Shooooo! What a find, I'd guess 165 to 175 hard to estimate, bow season isn't that far away hang in there.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I can't wait for bow season. Just bought a new Switchback XT and some turkeys are gonna die so I can get my bow hunting fix. What are the chances of a deer of that magnitude being on my spot and me not even knowing. I have literally hundreds of pics of many different bucks that I can readily identify when they show up. I was just really surprised to find those sheds from a buck I didn't know was there. My girlfriend and I are headed out tomorrow on a more advanced antler hunting trip. I didn't really expect to find much because just last week I saw a dead buck on the road with both antlers still on. He was a younger 8.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

What are the chances of a deer of that magnitude being on my spot and me not even knowing. I have literally hundreds of pics of many different bucks that I can readily identify when they show up. I was just really surprised to find those sheds from a buck I didn't know was there.
It can happen and happens more than you think.Mature deer tend to head back to their core areas this time of year. I would say he left your area during the rut or could be extremely nocturnal. I hope the latter is not the case for you. I would find this guy in the summer because I think you best chance to score on him would be the opening week.

I'm not sure on what state you are from, but judging by the mass I would not guess him over 4 1/2. People will try and say that there is no way you can judgea deer by his mass. I tend to differ. Where I'm from the bucks really don't start putting on great mass until the are 4-5 years old. I use this with many other factors when I field judge a buck. This deer should put on some inches and a lot of mass this year.

Quick Reply: Help me score these sheds.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.