Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic Tip Bullets

Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic Tip Bullets

I started loading the 165gr BT when they first came out.I load them for my wife rifle and mine. Never once have they failed either of us and together we have taken over 50 deer with them. I load the 115gr for my 25-06 and the 150gr or 140gr for my 7mm mag as well. I have never had any problems with the Nosler BT. I have nothing but good to say about the Nosler BT. I did buy a box of 165gr SST in 30 cal for my 06, but I havent loaded any of them up as to date. Its been my experience that if you put the shot where it needs to be then the BT will get the job done.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have never had a problem with themblowing up and i have had some not so ideal hits. One year at 200+ yards my shot went low and hit the leg just below the belly line. with 150 grain ballistics it when straight through the leg bone and continued on to go straight through the other leg bone both legs were only on by a little bit of meat and fur and i mean a little bit. It went about 30 yards and just could not run on them and i was able to give it another. But that is a prime example that they do not blow apart on impact, going through the center of both leg bones and blowing them gone.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

trash the ballistic tips unless you are varmint hunting. i know a bunch of guys that have lost big deer due blowups on shoulderblades. i have a good friend that lost what he says was a booner easy last fall with a ballistictip. one of my best hutning buddies lost one a few years ago that we had all seen. it had 18-20pts ,he made the perfect shot ,so he said. we spent weeks looking for that deer. he was shooting a 140grn ballistic tip in his 270win. the deer was bleeding about every 6ft and not alot ,like it was hit on the shoulder instead of behind it. a 3 legged deer can go for miles. there are a lot of far better choices in bullets.

NUFF SAID

I love the blood trails the ballistic silvertips leave out of my/daughter's 7 mm-08 and it does a fine job on a shoulder hit.

If you are questioning the effectiveness of the ballistic tips,then I question the caliber.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Spike

it will do fine on the shoulder and it will actually blast it to tiny peices and keep going through i tried it it works 100%. just shoot wich ever one shoots better out of your gun.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use vital shocks 180GR and dropped an elk at 300 yds. Complete pass through. Lovin'em.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a large 5x5 whitetail with the 180 grain ballistic tip with the 300 Win mag. The buck was coming directly at me, and I placed the first one in the sternum. The buck stopped, and I hit him again, in the same spot. It killed the deer, but neither bullet penetrated into the chest cavity. When I peeled the hide off of it, both bullets were in fragments plastered against the chest bones. There was also a piece of jacket lodged under the left shoulder blade. I wouldn't recomend them if you are planning on smashing heavy bone. On broadside shots, they kill like lightening, and leave a huge exit wound. I fiund that they are extremely accurate, but if they won't hold together, then I won't use them.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Never shot a deer with a Ballistic tip...Shot a bunch with standard Rem CL, FedPower Shocks, and my Favorite Hornady SP from my 270. They just drop where they stand...Lots of energy transfered in to the game with good stopping power.

Ive had a 130grCore Lokcome apart on a bad shot one time on my 1st buck (was shaking like a leaf)I still harvested the deer though. The rest have all been clean kills 1 shot with the deer falling in sight.

Friends at our hunting club all use Ballistic Tips and all get deer.....Havent seen the baseball sized exit wounds everyone is talking about...Most of the time with a ballistic tip it seems as though the bullet just fliesright through the chest cavity not opening up enough...Lots of speed...I really dont think its necessary on a 100yrd shot on a deer to have ballistic tips...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Spike

a couple years ago i was hunting soome whitetail and was using my 30-06 winchester with 180gr bullet and it grazed this whitetail right at his front leg and heart it broke his right front leg and blew a hole about the size of a baseball he didnt go but 20yards and he dropped.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Spike

I shot 140grn BT's out of my .270 and have shot many deer with them. Some went right on through without hitting bone, result dead deer, some hit bone and core separation occurred, result dead deer, some did both with complete mushroomed bullet retrieved, result dead deer. I think that faster these projectiles are pushed they tend to break apart. I now use 140grn Accubonds for all my hunting and have not recovered a projectile that has come apart they have either exited or are located on the hide. not sure how they would perform on thin skinned game like whitetail though.