Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plots

Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Default Food Plots

Does anyone have any good info on planting small food plots, like when to plant, what to plant, how much to plant.

Me and a buddy of mine are planning on fixing some small plots for the summer and hopefully they will carry on over into the fall.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Food Plots

When to plant depends on what you plant, which also depends on where you plant. How much to plant is up for debate ranging from 2-10% of the property. I like 5% for a easy estimate.

Where do you live?

Here is some big help for the mid south http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/pbfiles/PB1743.pdf
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 PM

I live in the southern part of North Carolina, near Fayettville. One place that we are planning on planting is a dark and somewhat wet soil and the other is a loose wet area near a river bottom. So far we've picked out perrenial plus and added chicory and some Imperial clover. I also thought about planting some turnips cause I heard that the deer really liked them and that they were cheap.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

Poor draining soil is going to be tough for most anything. Clover likes moisture better than most things. You can plant clover/chicory now if you hurry. You could also wait till first of sept and plant it. I've personally had better results in the fall with clover and chicory. Make sure the area you have gets atleast 4-6 hours of sunlight a day. Lots of folks plant under a heavy forest canopy and cant figure out why the plots not growing. Keep the deer off of a small plot till it gets established or they will kill it before you get a good stand.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Oh, and the turnips. Deer love them in the middle of winter, usually after hunting season is out(atleast where I am, season's over jan 1). I tried them a few years ago and the deer didn't touch them untill january, then tore em up until spring broke.Turnips aregood to help a herd get through winter, but not so good for a hunting spot.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 AM

Ok, thanks. I believe im going to plant that clover and chicory this sat. Its suppose to be warm and if it doesnt make it, i will just replant it this coming fall.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Ought to be a good weekend to do it. I'll be stuckin a booth at the dixie deer classic all weekend, if you get a chance come see us(dorton arena side)!

I think a good clover/chicory mix for NC is 5 lbs of ladino(or duranaor patriot)clover and3 lbs of chicory per acre. The red clovers are usually annuals so I don't like to use them, unless you want to do it every year. I'm not a big fanof the pre-mixed foodplots in a bag, but it will work if its what you got. I've had plots of clover and chicory last up to6 years before Iseeded them again. The lastcouple droughts have been tough on them though.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM

Ok, yeah I might go up there on sunday. What time does it all end?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Friday 9am-9pm
Saturday 9am-7pm
Sunday 9am-5pm

Hope to see you there.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:46 PM

I did a half acre with NO PLOW and it didn't come up very well last year. I am hoping it does better this spring.

Quick Reply: Food Plots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.