Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting ticket?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting ticket?

Could you furnish the ticket information. Preferably - County in which it was issued, date, officer's number#, etc ... preferably a scan of the ticket receipt. One of my best and long time friends is an Al. game warden who has been working the SE region of the state for close to 4decades. He'd like to know the details. I asked him about a handful of "bad" pecans being considered deer "feed" and he flat out stated no. To tell you the truth, he's pi$$ed if this did indeed happen and I suspect someone will get a dressing down from him if this turns out to be the facts.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a judge would have throwed that out of court ina heartbeat.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'll see if I can get some more information. He owns some property close by to me and I see him during hunting season, but he lives down at Destin.. I hope to see a GW in the next couple of weeks I know in Alabama and ask him about it.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I've seen this thread and finally decided to read it. A few years ago, My territory was the three gulf states. I believe this tech that told me this story was from Alabama closer to the coast but I can't be sure off the top of my head. Anyway, he was coming out of the woods on his four wheeler when the GW drove up. He stopped him and checked out everything and then said he could charge him for baiting because there was a kernal of corn stuck to the side wall of his ATV. This tech told me he never backed down and never got the ticket. This was purely an abuse of the law by the GW.

One thing to remember, GW aren't your friend. They are the biggests pricks out there. They will pretend to be your best buddy to get you to drop your guard. Once you do, they will absolutely nail you to the fullest extent of the law that they can.

If your a GW and reading this. I mean no disrespect. Just calling it like I see it. People need to be aware of this. Treat you with respect but also know your motives when you approach someone.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

WHAT, HOW, WHY??!!!! Mourning doves dont migrate!! They are around all year round??? They might migrate from yard to yard, field to field, pole line to pole line...but geesh!!!!

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Just came across this story. I've been surfing the net and have yet to find an instance where agame warden couldn't go on private land to check on folks that they knew were hunting there. However, the case dealt with in the link suggests that they cannot just wander property at will withoug some minimal cause.

http://morningjournal.com/articles/2008/12/18/news/mj364933.txt
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that is how they are classified in a number of states. But then again, Canadian geese are clearlymigratory fowl, but some states like Illinois now have permanent populations of them. So go figure.

I don't really agree that all GW's are prix. To me, they are like policemen. I have had some cops who were really cool and let me off with a warning when they really could have stuck it too me and I have had others who were royal jerks who seemed to take pleasure in trying to stick it too me. Good apples and bad apples.

I think that the fundamental issue is that people should have a very clear understanding of the fish and game laws (going beyond the small amount of info included in the annual hunting and fishing guides). They should also educate themselvesabout what their rights are when interacting with GW's, just the same way that people should be aware of their rights when interacting with other LEO's. When cops or GW's end up consistently having their case thrown out and get they scolded by the judge for somethingtrivial because the defendant had his act together andfought it, you will see the bad apples less inclined to act like jerks.