HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   My buck from 11-17-08 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/287718-my-buck-11-17-08-a.html)

piney 02-28-2009 12:33 AM

RE: My buck from 11-17-08

Nice buck.

sjsfire 02-28-2009 05:43 AM

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

Here's the other one. Total opposite. Young buck with a lot of potential.

Not trying to be a smart ass but......what potential?? It's dead, it can't get any better.

gspguy73 02-28-2009 03:22 PM

Awesome buck!!! Love that picture of you with him in the field. Looks like it was a great moment.

ReDoT 02-28-2009 06:24 PM

Nice buck for sure........that first pic is really nice

SouthDakotaHunter 02-28-2009 06:57 PM

Great looking buck!! Congrats!

IMO - the turn around time from the taxi is a little faster than I would want to see on one of my deer - not that yours looks terrible or anything, not trying to say that....

stretch56 03-01-2009 04:13 AM

nice buck congrats

BarnesX.308 03-01-2009 08:06 AM

[blockquote]quote:

Here's the other one. Total opposite. Young buck with a lot of potential.

[/blockquote]

Not trying to be a smart ass but......what potential?? It's dead, it can't get any better.
Potential: A 2.5yo old buck with 5 inch basis. Genetic potential. If he lived 2 or 3 more years, he would be a slammer. He has relatives. The genes are still on the mountain. Potential for his brother, dad or any fawns he sired to be big one day.

My buddy shot this. He only gets to hunt with us 2 or 3 days a year. This was only his 2nd buck. He is not in the position to pass on 8-pointers.

In Illionois, fawns are dropped with 10 point racks and 160" deer are called cull bucks. In Pennsylvania, we have 1,000,000 hunters and hunt a lot of deer that only eat poor quality browse in the vast forrested mountains. An 8-pointer is a good deer for most of us.

early in 03-01-2009 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: zubba

Congrats on the buck. Another fast turn around time with poor results unfortunatly. WCL
BINGO!!!

As long as your happy with him, that is what matters. If we point out flaws in your trophy, then you will grow to hate it.
If "we" point out the flaws? Who's we? You and that otherfriggen SMACKED ASSwho calls himself wingchaser lab? I'd like to see some of your "awesome mounts" guys. Put up or shut up!! Guys like you make mewant to puke!![>:] That mount looks just fine. Congrats!;)

wingchaser_labs 03-01-2009 11:54 AM

I paid 400 for it.. I know that is probably at the upper end of the spectrum
That's not the upper end where I'm from. I'm paying close to 6 in PA. My freinds, family or myself have gotten a mount done by this guy every year for the past 10 and they're all great. Every year they get better, too!!!

Here's a couple from him. Check out the bottom jaw of the big 5-pointer. It was an 8 year old deer. Nice detail on the sagging jawls.

$400is about average here in the midwest maybe a lil more. Some of the really goodshops are much closer to 6 but its the midwest, not exactly the richest part of the US. You go down to like texas or theEastyour lookin at an average much higher around 500 or better. WCL

wingchaser_labs 03-01-2009 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

If "we" point out the flaws? Who's we? You and that otherfriggen SMACKED ASSwho calls himself wingchaser lab? I'd like to see some of your "awesome mounts" guys. Put up or shut up!! Guys like you make mewant to puke!![>:] That mount looks just fine. Congrats!;)

Alright since he wants the opinions and you do too now. I'll give em. Hope zubbo shows his moutns too cuz they look very nice as well. By no means am I a pro as I have only mounted 11 heads but I do know what looks real. To me mounts should look alive and that buck doesnt looked alive to me.....

Eyes are way off
Eye lashes should be at a 45 degree angle downwards (those are 90 degree or even pointing up.
Some serius drumming issue going on in the throat (drumming, thats just lazy)
Arm pit pockets could use some workalmost the entire lower lip line is showing (hould just be a little under the tip of the nose)
And for the worst.... The ears. There is no ear but and the earls look like they got chewed on my something. They are also way to pink.

Here is a couple finished mounts and in progress mounts I've got going. Not making excusses just stating what I have learned and have changed but I now use a different paint on the noses (they are way to dark) and texture them. And have changed my eye shape setting them smaller cuz I had shrinking problems where they were getting to wide on me once dried. Also I wasnt doing a lower lip onmost of them but am now.I'm no pro yet but for only doing a few heads I think they look pretty alive. If yahave something to proveearlyin why dont ya post some of your work?

Finished

Unfinished, still wet in pics, and not getting the same paint scheduel as the previous ones.