Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Home made feeders

Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Home made feeders

Any body have any ideas on how to make a deer feeder?

Spudrow from Mo
Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Home made feeders

Ive also looked into building some homemade feeders. I found on the web some ideas that use a peice of pvc (of you choice of size) with one end capped off and it strapped to a tree. The corn or feed will just pile up on its on and when the deer eat, they will cause more feed to pour out.

And of course you can always make a feeder with a plastic drum or bucket with a timer motor like on the manufactorer models.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you.

spudrow from Mo
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Yeah, I havent actually made one yet. I havent thought about the coon prob. and I have alot of racoons around the farm. I think im gona put my effort into making a tripod feeder. thanks

Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Whatever you decide to do, I would advise using metal. Squirrels destroyed several that I made from PVC last year.
They even managed to chew the entire rodent guard off of my electric feeder that I had mounted on a 45 gal drum hanging from a tree.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

Alright well I made one out of a large galvanized trash can set up off the ground on 2x4 and a piece of plywood. It works alright but I have problems with coon and squirrel. My buddy made one that looks like a giant elevated rabbit feeder. If you know what I'm talking about rabbit feeder here's a pic. You do have to have some metal fabrication/welding knowledge and ability to get sheet metal and angle iron for the legs. He built the feeder section about 2 1/2 feet to 3 feet off the ground put a spring tensioned lid over the top and a large rock that was sitting in the area and drilled small holes in the bottom of the feeder area so water would drain but the feed wouldn't. This design allowed just the deer to get the corn being made out of metal the coon could not climb it and also the squirrels could not chew into it or damage it. The only downfall to this design is the fact that water can get in the bottom of the feeder but drilling holes in the bottom takes care of most of the problem and does not allow much feed to fall through as long as you are using whole kernel corn or pelleted feed. But you could also put a roof of some sort over the feeder if you really wanted to but I have no Ideas of how you would go about doing that.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

that looks great i just cut a one inch hole in side at the bottom of a plasic 5 gallon bucket with a sscrewon lid
set on ground bungy cord it to tree and your set to feed of course coon and all critters can get at it
Old 02-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have tremendous bear problems back home, so we ended up mounting ours on poles 12' up. A welder friend of mine and I made the poles. We used 6" well casing for the main pole, then just welded a piece of 4" at a 90on top, stabilized it from main pole to 4", then welded a boat winch on the bottom part, a couple eyelets up the pole, and a small roller on the end. They crank really easily with 200# of corn in them. For the actual feeder, they are just the Moultrie 200# barrels with their battery powered feeder. They really throw the corn from that height too. You may just be better off buying the barrel and spinners and then rigging your own pole/tripod.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

okay, i have an even easier one that works well.

Take a 4 inch PVC tube and cut it about 4 feet long. Buy a "U" 4 inch PVC turn. So in a sense you are making a "J". Paint it to match the forest, and hang on a tree. Squirrels have a hard time getting into it as well. they can but not as easy as a ground feeder. You can make this "j" for a few dollars. Then fill it with corn and done. Easy, effective
and cheap.

to hang it, just drill holes on the straight part and use lag bolts. The corn still passed thru but squirrels can get down in there.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

pvc pipe and then a pipe that turns. thats what i heard is good

Quick Reply: Home made feeders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.