Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy Rocks?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 AM

Default Trophy Rocks?

Ive got a trail camera and ive heard different people say they put a trophy rock in front of it during may? Do they really make that much difference? Just wandering?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trophy Rocks?

That time of the year the does are lactating and the bucks are growing racks and the deer are really wanting minerals. Trophy rocks are like $30 and all they areis trace mineral block busted up to shape a rock and then charged a arm and a leg for and you don't even getthe whole block. Complete rip off just go buy a trace mineral blockfrom a feed store and get twice as much for less than half the price. You will get lots of picture if you hang a camera in front that time of year that's for sure
Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree with "Patchholder". You can get about 100# of a good mix for what a single "Rock" usually costs. Try this mix. It is more or less what I got from info from Auburn Univ. many years ago. Also similar to info from Pen. St. and LSU. While salt blocks work well, seems to me the deer hit the granulated stuff earlier on and heavier. I have done this for decades. I have never once seen deer on the lick, but every one I have made has been bombed. In one particular case, the deer have dug a 5' x 5' x 5' "cave" into the hillside where I started a lick on a stump way back about 1980.

Granulated "White Salt" - This can be bought in 50# bags. It is chemically equivalent to "table salt" .... NaCl. Probably about $6.00/bag. you can also use "Red Salt". Also known as trace mineral salt. This product is essentially "table salt" with some other minerals. It is probably about $7.50/50#. Neither of these do the deer much good. but will attract them to the lick. If all you want to do is attract, this will do it.

Dicalcium Phosphate - This is a "greyish" powdered mineral whose effect is to build stronger frames, probably antler mass and is supposed to help does with mineral depletion during lactating. This product is probably about $20/50#.

"Dairy Cattle Supplement" - This product is known by several "names'. Down this way it is not as easy to find. It is a mineral supplement used for dairy cattle. It is mostly a calcium based supplement. This too helps build strong bones and probably helps with antler mass. This product is probably $15/50#.

The reason I am not certain of the cost is that it rose so much from '07 to '08, that i am guessing. I am putting out mine this weekend and will know for sure after I buy.

While there is probably no perfect "mix" ratio of these, I have used (as a rule of thumb), 2 parts salt -1 part dical-1part dairy. It works great poured over a stump or in a "trough". I use a 50 gallon plastic barrel, cut to make 2 troughs. I usually put about 50# in each "lick" abut now. Then around June-July, refresh with another 25# - 50# or so.

You do need to verify local game laws to make sure this is legal.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 PM

I appreciate the info guys. I knew there was another way to get good pics and help out the deer herd without having to buy all that money for a rock. Thanks again.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ehenry, Like patchholder & mojotex already said, dont waste your money on trophy rock!! Trophy Rock, mineral licks, mineral blocks do nothing to help the herd, their racks, bodies etc. I just made a post in the trail cam forum about this very same topic, click on the link below. I just use $6.00 generic blocks that you can get at any feed store. Pike
Trail Cam Forum Link
Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the rock myself. I'm not disagreeing with you guys,but heres my reasoning. I want to find the bucks. So I set the rock out with a camera. No bucks, I can pick it up and try another area. Also knowing that it does leave residue where it had laid. So it still will be visited. My 1st year I started using these I set it on a well used trail. Never moved it. 1 small buck and hundreds of does. Following year started moving it around every few weeks and it really educated me on where the bucks were. I know alot of people use these stationary feeders and so on and it may bring bucks in. But that doesn't tell you where they are coming from. So sometimes you have to go to them.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mottz click on my link above I do the exact same thing you do, I have tried
most blocks, rocks, licks and jams made over the years and the $6.00 blocks I been using work better than any of them (or atleast as good) but because of their price I can buy and put out 15 at a time and leave them out and just move my cam's around for the price of 3 trophy rocks. Pike
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like trophy rocks, I've seen a lot more activity with them than other minerals.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM

I think Im going to try both, however I have noticed that I can buy those blocks alot cheaper than the rocks. And me being a college student I dont have alot of money to throw around so.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know a guy here in New York that uses trophy rock. It is illegal in NY, yet he claims the look/shape helps camouflage it from unwanted eyes.

Quick Reply: Trophy Rocks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.