Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 20 gauge slug gun a brush gun? >

20 gauge slug gun a brush gun?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

20 gauge slug gun a brush gun?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default 20 gauge slug gun a brush gun?

I have a mossberg 500 thats shoots a 20 gauge hornady sst slug. I was wonderring how do these perform in the nasty briars, scrub oaks, and blueberry bushes of South Jersey?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 20 gauge slug gun a brush gun?

I don't hunt Jersey, but I would bet that has a better chance of getting through that nasty stuff than a 257 roberts or similar cartridge. I would still hold out for a clear shot and not depend on it making it through and expect it to hit where you aimed if there's brush in the way.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you won't be shooting through brush no matter what weapon you use.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would rather shoot a more typical foster type slug and definately heavier slug in brush like you describe. Something that would plow orbust thru rather than something more pointy like an SST. I would think the angle of the tip would make it more prone to deflection.

Of course this is all assuming ranges +/- 50 yards.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big and slow =brush gun=MYTH. Smaller diameter actually=less likely to hit something and deflect.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Work like any other bullet. YOu hit something, it deflects it.

Brush busting is a myth
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt some thick stuff too. It often comes down to picking a very small hole and getting a bullet through it. An accurate gun is paramount.

Of course, if you shoot at enough deer, you will eventually hit something that you did not see. The bullet will deflect. The biggest factor is how close the deer is to the twig or whatever else it is that causes the deflection. If the deer is standing in briars I will shoot it I think I can get it there, and I'm not likley to get a better opportunity. If the stuff is somewhere midrange between me and the deerI wait.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

No such thing as a brush gun.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no such thing as a brush bullet.They'll all deflect but a quick handling gun is the way to go in the thick stuff.A pump shotgun coupled with a low power/wide field scope or red dot type works as well as anything as shots are short.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

A heavier slug will deflect less than a lighter one. Simple math.And hitting a twig rather straight on with a more flat shaped slug will deflect less than one of the pointed rifle bullet looking slugs like the SST. Again it is simple math based on the angle of deflection.

Where is our resident mathametician - etothepi?

Quick Reply: 20 gauge slug gun a brush gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.