Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ar restictions for ny

Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ar restictions for ny

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

I'm not surprised at this in the least. From the beginning 3yrs ago, the DEC said this was a test pilot. I give the DEC credit for handling it the way they are. I mean they could just push it upon the whole state as PA did. So least they're taking their time, studying the situation, and surveying hunters on it all. Plus they've set a minimum limit in order to go through with any expansion of it. Thats not shoving it down our throats at least!.
I have mixed feelings on A.R.'s. I'd like to see a healthier herd, better ratios, and a few more larger bucks.But A.R.'s don't protect the yearling bucks with nice potential. I looked overthe racks on mycamp wall from yrs of hunting. 90% were yearling bucks. All but 2couldn't have been harvested under presentAR restrictions. 3 pts on at least 1 side doesn't protect all the yearlings.

I agree buckalley, the correct way would be to use points AND width of rack, i.e. outside the ears spread typically indicates a 3.5 yr or older animal. I say typically of course because there are exceptions.Body size and shape, length of legs, thick neck belly etc., is also a good indicator and it should all be considered before pulling the trigger, but let's face it the average Joe isn't educated enough to look at all those factors. (not yet anyway!) Keep in mind though thaty as we err on the side of caution, that will also let more deer go to live another day, andhopefully another year. There is also the "educated buck" factor as when you let them go they become a little smarter and better at evading hunters.

It only protectsthe spikes, 3pts, and 4 pts. I believea minimum spread should be included, beyond the ears is a easy onethat'd cover alot more yearling deer.
I also feel their is alot more interest in A.R's, that some here realize. The 2 thingsmany, many hunters want to see in the woods is either numbers or large bucks. After all its what most every hunter dreams of is harvesting a large rack record book buck someday.If they can't do that they like to see alot of deer.
Another thought on this if you've ever read any of the Anti's claims on deer hunting. One of the main things they say against us is we proclaim to be sportsmankilling animals for the sake of a healthier herd. But yetwe target any deer, and kill mostly small bucks. Is that the kind of image we want to be used against us?

I don't care what they say really, but it is wise of course to walk the walk, as it were. No matter what we do they will find fault with it.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all for it.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

100% against ARs. DEC should be concerned w/ deer #s, not rack size. If you want ARs, buy land and shoot only mature bucks, if thats what you wan,t but why should the state tell hunters, a spike is not good enough, if thats what a hunter want to fill his tag with?

QDMA is the global warming/ "green'' movement of the hunting community , totally useless, unproven and unfounded theories designed to fool gulible hunters, into an antler elitist mindset. I live on the NY/ NJ border, Nj has ARs, we do not, same deer on both sides.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look at Kansas and Iowa's Out Of State sales since the word got out about what's being harvested out there.

Listen to the locals complain because they can't find anywhere to hunt.

AR doesn't= QDM
Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

It wouldn't bother me one bit if this was done on a state-wide basis . I have no problem with shooting does .

I don't particularly care for the "if it's brown , it's down " attitude !
Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Spike

NYS should just put the A.R. on state land. This way land owners still have the right to take any size deer on their property. They could also restrict this to certain WMU's where state land is located.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It wouldn't bother me one bit if this was done on a state-wide basis

No problem with it even though the article clearly states "the DEC does not see a critical biological need or compelling management advantage to mandate such restrictions.". ??????

I am amazed at those who want to impliment a program statewide that has no sound need or advantage.
All in the hope NYS become a midwest hunting mecca?
Which Charlie pointed out tends NOT to be a good thing for the local resident hunters.

Steve

Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ed McDonald

It wouldn't bother me one bit if this was done on a state-wide basis . I have no problem with shooting does .

What about the kid or newbie that does want to shoot a small buck, why should your current standards, dictate what others coming up behind you, shoot? Telling other hunters its wrong to shoot small bucks ,cause the average buck might get a few more inches on their racks, 10 years down the line, if we all shoot bigger ones, is like telling a guy its wrong to marry an ugly woman, because if we all marry hot women, well all be better looking in the future. Total elitist attitude.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

It wouldn't bother me one bit if this was done on a state-wide basis

No problem with it even though the article clearly states "the DEC does not see a critical biological need or compelling management advantage to mandate such restrictions.". ??????

I am amazed at those who want to impliment a program statewide that has no sound need or advantage.
All in the hope NYS become a midwest hunting mecca?
Which Charlie pointed out tends NOT to be a good thing for the local resident hunters.

Steve

It has no sound advantage because the state says so? What sound advantage does the state say about being one of the worst run states fiscally? You have ridiculous taxes and are run by the likes of (up)Chuck scummer.

Texas practices it and has one of the finest deer herds in the country, both in numbers and quality deer. The optimum ratio is one to one, as nature intended. I have no issue with an up and comer shooting a small buck, but I think its our responsibility to teach them management practices that benefit the herd first, the hunter second.

Again, its not about us, its about the deer.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

ORIGINAL: Ed McDonald

What about the kid or newbie that does want to shoot a small buck, why should your current standards, dictate what others coming up behind you, shoot? Telling other hunters its wrong to shoot small bucks ,cause the average buck might get a few more inches on their racks, 10 years down the line, if we all shoot bigger ones, is like telling a guy its wrong to marry an ugly woman, because if we all marry hot women, well all be better looking in the future. Total elitist attitude.
It is wrong to marry an ugly woman! Unless you're an uglier guy.

Its not the same either. It's not about looks. Antlers and testosterone go hand in hand. despite the size of the horns nature intends the best bucks to breed. You won't have the best bucks unless they get some age on them.

Now if you went around killing all the ugly woman, that would be different. If there was no alcohol in the world, most ugly women wouldn't breed anyway!

Its not about us. Antlers are just a perk of quality deer management.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.