Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting

Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer hunting

that would make a mess of a coyote also i would be scared if someone was in the woods and had no idea of wat the gun was capable of
Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM

As long as hes not aiming it at people or houses who really cares?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM

It would demolish a coyote.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

A large male coyote weighs 50 lbs. A small female Shepherd weighs the same. I guess it is possible that you are looking at a coyote, but depending upon where you live it could well be something that you'd get in a lot of trouble for shooting.

I heard of a guy in Maine that got in hot water for shooting an animal that he beleived to be a coyote, but since it was so large, he showed it around. Very soon afterward, USFWS showed up and confiscated the carcass, and only after DNA testing could they determine the animal had enough wolf DNA to be considered more wolf than coyote, so they charged him.

I think the case was resolved reasonably, because the guy really did think it was a coyote when he shot it.

That issue aside, a 7 Mag is plenty of gun for all non-dangerous critters up to and including moose. If you really have to ask if it is adequate for a 50 lb dog, then I'd say it's time to learn more about your gun. Go hunting after you've done that.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

With how broad "Deer hunting" is in a Deer hunting forum and then asking if a 7mm with a 185 gr. bullet will kill a coyote, I think something smells fishy with this post, especailly for post one. If it isn't fishy, Im hoping this person is far from where I hunt!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes...!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it is a younger hunter that is asking an honest question. There was a time some 50 years ago I might have had a similar question.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Two thumbs up timbercruiser!

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I think it is a younger hunter that is asking an honest question. There was a time some 50 years ago I might have had a similar question.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, a 7 mag for coyote? get a .22 and save money, of course it will do the trick, but when you pull the trigger, you'll be hearing ch-ching (that's the money you'll be pissing away)
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

I use a 7mm rem mag for deer and catch a ton of crap for overkill. Thats a little much.

Quick Reply: deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.