anyone shoot fusion or hornady sst? i shot core lokts for years and thinking of trying fusion or sst. some say the fusion dont make a good wound channel. i dont know much about both or ballistic tip bullets, i have talked to some that..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 fusion bullets or sst i dont know? >

fusion bullets or sst i dont know?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

fusion bullets or sst i dont know?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:32 PM

Default fusion bullets or sst i dont know?

anyone shoot fusion or hornady sst? i shot core lokts for years and thinking of trying fusion or sst. some say the fusion dont make a good wound channel. i dont know much about both or ballistic tip bullets, i have talked to some that say federal blue box sp is all need. and others say the blue box will do to much damage. i dont shoot past 200 yards and my gun holds a good group with the blue box ammo. have not tryed any others yet. no one ever had much to say about sierra gameking soft points, hope some one can shine some light on all of this for me, thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fusion bullets or sst i dont know?

If your rifle shoots Federal blue box well, I don't see any need for a different bullet for deer sized game. Sierra Game Kings perform well as do Rem Core Lokts. The GK and CLare not bondedso if you have a very fast cartridge you may want to look at a bonded bullet to reduce meat loss. I have not shot Fed Fusion, but from what I have heard the bullet performs well and iscapableof instant kills. Some have said Federal has recentlygone to a dirtier powder for the Fusion loads. I can't comment on the SST.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the Fusion bullets in both my Browning A-Bolt Classic 300 wsm and
also in my Browning Shortrac semi in 270 wsm .
Both guns shoot very accurate with the best groups going to my 300 wsm .
I,ve shot 2 deer with my 300 wsm , 1st ran abought 60 yards with a perfect quartering shot at 75 yards . 2nd deer dropped in his tracks at a 100 yard broadside shot ,
Ive shot 3 bucks with my 270 wsm beteen 150 and 160 yards , all 3 deer went down instantly and were all broadside when shot .
Not all guns shoot the same or acheive the same results with the same ammo .
I f your looking for a change I ,d say give the Federal Fusions a try .
Athough there a little pricey .
Hope this helps ...
Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 PM

I haven't shot any fusions through my 06 so I can't really talk about them.

But....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...=&#3335360
Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the fusions in my 30-06. I have had great success with them. They will penetrate deep and their controlled expansion doesn't ruin a lot of meat. Most of the deer I shoot are older bucks that weight 175-200+ pounds.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 AM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I shoot the fusions in my 30-06. I have had great success with them. They will penetrate deep and their controlled expansion doesn't ruin a lot of meat. Most of the deer I shoot are older bucks that weight 175-200+ pounds.
Sounds about right. I would say either or would work better than soft points out of a magnum for controlled expansion. If you are shooting a "standard" caliberI would still preferthe fusions and the sst's over a soft point just for the shear killing power. Ilike to sacrifice an animial asquickly and humanely as possible, but then again that's just me. That said, soft points do the job to (just not as efficiently).

Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Fusion 165gr were the most accurate factory loads out of my 300WSM. The only way I get better groups was hand loading Sierra Game Kings. Are you hunting whitetails? Or something bigger? For whitetail, Sierra is a great bullet. The fusion is a bonded bullet designed for deeper penetration.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious, how many deer have you lost while using the Core Loks that were not a result in you making a poor shot?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 AM

i have only lost 2 and both times i think the bullet disinagraded. core lokts can ruin a lot of meat & yes im just hunting whitetail
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: savage hunter44

i have only lost 2 and both times i think the bullet disinagraded. core lokts can ruin a lot of meat & yes im just hunting whitetail
Where are you hitting them? In the shoulder? The only time I try to hit them there is when I can't afford to chase him. What caliber are you shooting? Ultra fast cartridges with destroy certain bullets that aren't designed for velocitys over 3000fps or so.

Quick Reply: fusion bullets or sst i dont know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.