Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Got my mount back from 1-17-09 >

Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my mount back from 1-17-09

ORIGINAL: LeftyBuckmaster

Well I've run into some problems right now with the taxi I gave my deer to over a year ago. After I gave him my deer he got divorced, lost his daytime job, gambled/drank his money away, got married again and the rumors are flying around now that he doesn't have the money to buy forms to finish the mounts. I've tried to call him after getting his cell number from other customers and everytime he never answers I have left him a couple messages but no response. I finally got some good news about 3 weeks ago that he got one of my friends mounts done so it sounds like he finally is getting some done. I gave a 50% deposit and don't know what to do. I could wait for him to call and say he has it done or I could try and stop by his house and talk to him. He did good work and was reasonable on price and recommended by alot of people but he ran into problems in his life and his actions now are not really impressing me. I just don't know what to do.
Can't fix stupid..... What was the time quote he gave you on it being done? If it is way off I'd maybe contactyour game warden and tell him whats going on. Just tell him you don't want any trouble with it but you are concerned about what may have happened to your deer since the guy wont return your messages.He might give you some advice or hopefully be willing to stop by and check things out himself. They have the rights to stop anytime (during legal hours) they wish just for a checkup on things so he doesnt have to tell the guy he is stopping because of complaints. If you gave a 50% dwn payment that shold be way more than materials so let your warden know all of this.... Seems way off to me that the guy would not return a couple messages. Seems like he is avoiding you and if he was working on it I would guess he would have returned your calls. Its a good sign he got your friends done but not good that he wont respond to you. Hope you have some receipts. Good luck. WCL

Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

Well when I gave it to him he said he was pretty busy and it could be 6 months to a year. No time limit was written down though. But this was before he had all the problems in his life. He wasn't returning anyone's phone calls even my friend whose mount is done. Up until he called my friend that his was done my friend had also tried to contact him with no response. My friend decided he was going to wait a few weeks to pick it up since the taxi took his time so will my friend. He knows he wants the money because he needs it. The taxi lost his full time job over 6 months ago and still does not have another job so he has to be looking for some money. He was renting a shop in town but he couldn't afford it after his divorce and gambling/drinking issues after he was laid off. I don't have a receipt but I have record in my checking account that I wrote a check to his taxidermy co. name and he cashed it. I didn't know the DNR had regulation over taxidermists but now that I think about it it makes sense since the deer has to be tagged and has to stayed tagged in Ohio. I will have to call the local warden and see what he says and possibly see if anyone else has complained to him.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

I dont like to put down anyone's mount, and the camera could be playing tricks with some of the coloring.
The eyes seem a little sleepy, and the eye duct color seems off, but the horns are great.....
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

how do you get a mount done in a month?
The capelikely isn'ttanned. I'm sure he is a hack using DP (dry perservative (not saying all DP users are hacks, but the pictures show this guy is)). The last thing I would do is go back to this guy, I would chalk it up as a loss and have it remounted by a professional....just a price to pay for not doing your homework.

The only good thing about these kinds of taxidermist is they make somelike like me look like Picasso. [:-]
Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

you guys didn't read the whole post the taxi used a different cape so the cape he used could have been tanned at another earlier time and place over the form which was to big for the new cape stretching it out of proportion making it look so bad.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

thats a nice rack and not bad eating either

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

or I could try and stop by his house and talk to him
That's what I would do. I'd just talk to him man to man. Tell him, if he's got too much trouble in his life, I'll take it somewhere else. If he says he can do it, then ask for timelines. No more money, though.

To me, the cape is just as much a part of my deer as the horns. If you caught a 10 foot marlin, would you be happy putting its bill on the body of a 4 foot marlin? What if you shoot a 250-300lb, thick-necked rutting buck? Are you really going to find that cape on the butcher's floor?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

how do I add pictures to my post ?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know what I find amazing....... When taxidermists point out flaws, they get jumped on, but how is it a bad thing to point out obviously inferior work. Education goes a long way.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

you could always get him redone... sometimes you get burned. I had a trophy black bear I shot back in 2002 get hacked by the taxi.. He was on his death bead and I couldn't bring myself to make a stink over it. He only lived a couple of months longer, so I am glad I didn't make a fuss then.
Having said that, he took 325# bear and used a form that may have fit a 250lb bear... I had to bring it to another taxi who was able to soak the head, pop the stitches, and build up the size of the form head w/ clay. Now it looks 100% better.
At least with a deer they can just pull the horns, get you a new cape, and move on...

Quick Reply: Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.