Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Got my mount back from 1-17-09 >

Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Got my mount back from 1-17-09

BBs was the bucks face that dark?? the face just seems to be colored differently...just wondering if it was actually that color when you killed it....

very nice buck....and a great mount for less than a month turn around! hope it gets taken care of...cant say ive seen one that looked so lifelike...he looks like hes half asleep! thats GREAT taxi work

it usually takes a bad mount for most serious hunters to realize that shopping around for a GOOD taxidermist is important....i been there.......

heres mine.....

got it mounted coz gray squirrels are usually white where that one is chocolate brown...taxi did a horrible job though....every time i look at it i wanna shoot it again...the face and posture are just terrible..

so i caught a fish i wanted mounted just becuase it was beautiful and it died when i didnt mean for it to die...so i made appointments for a bunch of taxi shops to take a look at their work...any taxi will let you do that if you ask..if they wont make the time, they arent getting work from me. i finally found a guy whose work caught my eye...while at the shops i never asked prices till i was leaving...to me, quality mounts are more important than price...if im getting a critter mounted, theres a reason. its special to me for some reason and i wanna look at it and remember that day forever and wanna look at something that looks REAL...

heres my current taxis work....

wish the paint colors would show up in pics...forget the number of layers of paint on that thing..it was ALOT and it looks AWESOME...every little halo is there and colors are amazing..

head on shot perpindicular to it...

the cape damage was all there when i killed him and he was a early season, thin haired buck..and a young buck so his neck was that small...ears are how i wanted him...he came into calling and thats how his ears were...somewhat laid back and curious looking...they look odd in the pics for some reason...

best thing i ever did was find a good taxidermist...and dont just look at their "show room" or anything that they keep in their shop or have on display at sporting good stores etc...what you want to look at is their customer mounts...other guys that had stuff done by them...thats the only way you can get a feel for what their work is like...my current taxi hangs his customer mounts right on his walls in his basement where he does his customer business...those are the mounts you wanna look at...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck "bigbulls"!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

BBs was the bucks face that dark?? the face just seems to be colored differently...just wondering if it was actually that color when you killed it....

very nice buck....and a great mount for less than a month turn around! hope it gets taken care of...cant say ive seen one that looked so lifelike...he looks like hes half asleep! thats GREAT taxi work

it usually takes a bad mount for most serious hunters to realize that shopping around for a GOOD taxidermist is important....i been there.......

heres mine.....

got it mounted coz gray squirrels are usually white where that one is chocolate brown...taxi did a horrible job though....every time i look at it i wanna shoot it again...the face and posture are just terrible..

so i caught a fish i wanted mounted just becuase it was beautiful and it died when i didnt mean for it to die...so i made appointments for a bunch of taxi shops to take a look at their work...any taxi will let you do that if you ask..if they wont make the time, they arent getting work from me. i finally found a guy whose work caught my eye...while at the shops i never asked prices till i was leaving...to me, quality mounts are more important than price...if im getting a critter mounted, theres a reason. its special to me for some reason and i wanna look at it and remember that day forever and wanna look at something that looks REAL...

heres my current taxis work....

wish the paint colors would show up in pics...forget the number of layers of paint on that thing..it was ALOT and it looks AWESOME...every little halo is there and colors are amazing..

head on shot perpindicular to it...

the cape damage was all there when i killed him and he was a early season, thin haired buck..and a young buck so his neck was that small...ears are how i wanted him...he came into calling and thats how his ears were...somewhat laid back and curious looking...they look odd in the pics for some reason...

best thing i ever did was find a good taxidermist...and dont just look at their "show room" or anything that they keep in their shop or have on display at sporting good stores etc...what you want to look at is their customer mounts...other guys that had stuff done by them...thats the only way you can get a feel for what their work is like...my current taxi hangs his customer mounts right on his walls in his basement where he does his customer business...those are the mounts you wanna look at...
Since everyone's critiquing. First,I think I could crawl inside of that bucks nostrals. Second, that trout lacks good coloring. Here's a good job on a brownie.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Spike

Bigbulls, I will say that is a nice buck but i am not at all impressed with the taxidermy work. I know every deer i have done takes close to a year to get done by my taxidermist because he prides himself in perfection but to get a mount back in less than a month is really surprising. I don't even think you can get the hide tanned in that short amount of time. Are you sure thats your hide on the deer and not someone elses? i'd rather wait to have a good job done on my trophy than to have someone rush and do a crappy job. But i will say the style of mount you shose is my favorite.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Spike

I believe that he lacquer finished your horns and used spray paint in the ears to "whiten" them up as for the mount itself cant explain it and I am a Taxidermist who has seen a lot,, and am at a loss for words on your deer.. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice deer but to have work turned out that quick not saying it cant be done..it can and I have done it, but there is something wrong with them in not taking their time, to make it look alive..and making it look alive personally is the most important thing..
Old 02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Spike

That being said it is hard to tell from pictures why it nose and tear ducts are so bright.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Spike

nice
Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please tell me you didn't pay over 300 for that.It's a great buck dont get me wrong! But the eyes look evil and that indention by his eyes aint supposed to be that big or RED at all. Weird eyes and nose, poor job on the cape, dont take another buck to him. NICE RACK THOUGH!!!

Quick Reply: Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.