Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever Sell Your Farm???

Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever Sell Your Farm???

If you own your farm, or hypothetically if you don't, and times got extremely tough for you, would you ever sell your farm???
I am just curious, I own several hundred acres, that is a lot of dough!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ever Sell Your Farm???

Well...My dad was a Deere dealer and was able to buy 3 farms in the late 60s and then we bought another in '76 after he died and we had to sell the dealership...He used to say that a farm only becomes avaliable once in a person's lifetime and that is usually true...

These farms are loaded with deer, bear, turkey, beaver, ducks, geese, squirrels and rabbits...All total there is about 850 acres and total worth is around one million...

Fortunately I have 2 brothers and a brother-in-law that also like to hunt, so I don't truely think we will ever have to sell...

But...If a major hotel chain, WalMart, etc offered a ridiculous price,we could sell one and have 3 left...

btw...5 grand an acre, no way...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Well...My dad was a Deere dealer and was able to buy 3 farms in the late 60s and then we bought another in '76 after he died and we had to sell the dealership...He used to say that a farm only becomes avaliable once in a person's lifetime and that is usually true...

These farms are loaded with deer, bear, turkey, beaver, ducks, geese, squirrels and rabbits...All total there is about 850 acres and total worth is around one million...

Fortunately I have 2 brothers and a brother-in-law that also like to hunt, so I don't truely think we will ever have to sell...

But...If a major hotel chain, WalMart, etc offered a ridiculous price,we could sell one and have 3 left...

btw...5 grand an acre, no way...
Is 5k cheap or way high???
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

In Florida RIGHT NOW the going price for land that is out of the way is about 7k to 12k an acre. It all depends where you live. I have a buddy with 886 acres. He just got offered 13,500 an acre for the whole thing.

I loved it when he told me "well where would I go to hunt hogs". No sale and that is a lot of money.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once I have one....only if I had to....or to upgrade get a bigger tract somewhere else....

Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nick...It's been a few years since I've priced farm land...But 8-10 years ago in eastern NC farm land was bringing $1,000-1,500 an acre...In Iowa, where you are it would run $1,200-$1,800 an acre...
Now, these are very rough figures and don't consider highway frontage, buildings, creeks, etc...

Here in NC, the growth of cities and developement is ruining the family farm...In 50 yearsif you don't own land in NC you probably will not be able to hunt on private land...
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think nobody could truley answer this question till it was on the table.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

Here in central Wi. wooded land is going for $7000 an acre,some was sold right across the road from me. THe taxes are really going up, kinda hard to stay on the land. I will holdout as long as I can, probably until I die. We own 90 acres.
RC
Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Land prices have really fallen off in our area in the last year. A few years ago timber land was $5,000 + an acre and lately I havn't heard of anything over $1,500 an acre. Selling my land would be a last resort due to economic reasons. It will be deeded to my grandchildren in a few years.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Here in NW Ohio where I live the ground isn't that good we have hard clay which is a pain but land is up to around 6-8 thousand and acre here. I think out west in Iowa and areas where there is more fertile farmland land was selling around 10 thousand an acre just about 2 years ago. During the ethanol/corn boom. Now it is probably receding in value some but I have not seen any auctions or sales lately to tell you what the going price is. We don't have a lot of timberland mainly crop production rural area. I refuse to let my parents sell the land they have and I know they won't and I don't plan on it either. The land we own doesn't have any woods on it but it provides for some of the best groundhog hunting that I can get at.

Quick Reply: Ever Sell Your Farm???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.