Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shot placement

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shot placement

The deer isbroadside to you,do you aim for the shoulder or just behind the shoulder?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Spike

Default RE: shot placement

Just behind the shoulder!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Spike

Depends on what you are using. If your bow hunting hitting the shoulder isn't going to do you or the deer much good and you should aim just behind the shoulder. If you have a rifle, taking out the shoulder presents you with an opportunity at the heart, and possibly breaking the shoulder, preventing the animal from getting too far.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me clear up my post a little.I'm talking about rifle hunting.I always shoot them behind the shoulder,but I know some guys prefer to take the shoulder out.Just was wondering where you guys like to hit 'em.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

just behind the shoulder for me
Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

I always aim for the shoulder, unless I don't have the shot then I wait or go for the neck. I shoot a .243 and have never dropped a deer hit in the shoulder, and it wastes some meat, just a habit I guess.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM

always behind with a gun or bow aiming for the shoulder is 2 risky it could just wound the animal and it would leave you with that awful feeling
Old 02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

CID, how is a shoulder shot risky? high you spine it or miss it...sideways your in the vitals or in the neck, low and your in the vitals.

ive shot deer in many different places...

shoulder or neck or higher lung shot with a 30cal rifle will drop em dead...

low lung/heart shots they tend to go 15-50yds give or take...everyone ive shot lower in the heart area ran...

higher shots shock the spine and usually drop them in their tracks...but you gotta know where to put it...personally i dont like the shoulder shot because it does usually end up with a bigger exit and bone fragments all through the meat...

neck shots work but again, you gotta know where to put it and be able to put it there...

gotta know your own personal shooting and rifle, and know what you and the rifle can do.

general rule of thumb, aim center of the chest straight up from the back edge of the leg(when the leg is straight up and down) high you got spine or you miss...sideways you got tons of error to play off...a good 5" side to side easy and you got a dead deer...low you got heart or too low and you miss...
Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

you never droped a deer with a 243 i did and i only shot 3 does and they all drop there i shot 2 in the neck and one high in the shoulder hit nothing untill the liver and it dropped in its tracks

Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

behind the shoulder every time. I don't like to damage anymore meat than necessary.

Quick Reply: shot placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.