Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Alright. It's off season - now what? >

Alright. It's off season - now what?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Alright. It's off season - now what?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Alright. It's off season - now what?

Well I have my project all set to keep my mind on my deer hunting. Not that I'mobssessed with it or anything, pretty much everyone knows it is233 more days until bow season opens back up.

Anyway, to keep me a bit occupied I have decided to construct some ladderstands. I have constructed more ladder stands than I can count. Steel construction frames. Welded. Strong stands. They have lasted years and years with only the wooden seat platforms being replaced occasionally. I stock a bunch of them along with boxes of replacement hardware in the barn and replace as necessary.
I've even put a couple out in the woods and forgotten about them. (I think).

Last few years I've been buying stands because they have just plain gotten so inexpensive. I'm not always the happiest with them because they are what they are and you make do with them. (I typically like mine roomy)

But now it is time to address the issue of some spots on the property where we have always wanted stands but none of the stands we have can fit the bill.

These will be the Big Daddy stands.

At this point I am ready to do evaluate therigidity of the basic ladder construction rails and upper frame. It will be steel pipe, schedule 40, either 1-1/2", 2" or 2-1/2". These stands will be very high so no corners will be cut on strength.The step rungs are going to be either 3/4" or 1" schedule 40 pipe.

The tops will be of a "double-platform" design whereas you sit on the top platforms and the lower platforms are where your feet will be. The lower platforms will be expanded metal and for theupper platforms I would like tohave swivel seats on a widedeck.

I am envisioning 30 feet of ladder in (3) 10-foot sections with the top section on top putting your butt about 33 feet up.

Really all of my stands are permenant - if I want one somewhere I put one there and it stays there. And these too will definately be pretty premanent - and heavy. I am pretty much set on connecting the (3) sections and the top platforms with tight fitting sleeves which we will either weld onor bolt thru. I prefer the weld.

The weight isn't an issue. I plan on getting them in the woods this spring. We'll haul them in with the four wheelers and a small trailer. Get them close enough and carry the rest of the way. The welder and generator can be easily hauled in too.

I'll take pics along the way all the way to setting them. My first step now is choosing the pipe, purchasing it and starting on the rough fabrication.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Alright. It's off season - now what?

Sounds good, kinda neat, probably be alot easier if you just hungsome hang onsthough!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: patchholder

Sounds good, kinda neat, probably be alot easier if you just hungsome hang onsthough!
No cramped little hang-ons forus. Screw in or strap on steps. No thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 PM

I will be working an a deer stand my self here as soon as the snow melts.