Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

protecting your gun

Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Default RE: protecting your gun

This is a funny thread..just spray your gun down with Cor-X and be done with it.

I have a vaccum packer..it would be easy to do it..but -when you do so ,you are going to get moisture inside in due time...no getting around it.When we collect evidence from a crime -we put everything in Paper bags..there is a reason for everything..but I will give you a attaboy for the thought.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

granted that you should clean and oil the gun first to protect it. II fail to see the science as to howmoisture can travel int a sealed vacuum ? Temp changes the dew point as to when water in the air condenses. There is no air so there would be no water in in there. Take a window they seal 2 pains together and that stays dry between unless the seal is broken . Somebody help me out with this that is a scientist
Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 AM

I have always stored my guns in a cabinet and wipe them down monthly with an oily rag. I haven't noticed any rust on any of my guns.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you were to put your gun in storage for a long time i think vacumn sealing it would allow you to not have to re-oil then for years. However like others said there are products out there for that. So unless your going to not touch the gun for 10 years or more I don't think its worth it.

Yes no air means no mosture which means no rust. And for as long as there is no air it will remain that way.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM

Good Grief.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

granted that you should clean and oil the gun first to protect it. II fail to see the science as to howmoisture can travel int a sealed vacuum ? Temp changes the dew point as to when water in the air condenses. There is no air so there would be no water in in there. Take a window they seal 2 pains together and that stays dry between unless the seal is broken . Somebody help me out with this that is a scientist
Its because the windows are injected with Argon gas.
It keeps the moisture out.
If the seal is broken, mositure will get in.

But like others said, justwipe it down with good quility oil, or rig grease.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Where can I find these?

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I have never heard of anyone doing that, and there is probably a good reason.

Sack Ups makes an oil impregnated sack for storing a gun. I have used them and have never had a problem with guns rusting in storage.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Clean it,oil it,and store it.I've had only a few instances of rust in 40 years of deer hunting doing it that way.I probably forgot to clean and/or oil it when it happened.