Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have a dumb question

Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default RE: I have a dumb question

thanks for the information everybody.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 AM

why spend the $$'s, when all you need is iron site??
Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I've never been a fan of boresighting it. I've had a few guns boresighted and most of the time the scope was off further than if I just put the scope on and shot it and checked to see how I needed to adjust it.

I agree with you on that, i had a scope put on my 30-06 and had them bore sight it, It was so far off, it took me a hell of a lot longer to site it in.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I, too use the eyeball method. Just set the gun up on something solid where you can look at something through the barrel at 25 yards or so and adjust your scope to that spot. It will get you pretty close.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it would be better than doing nothing at all, but it wouldn't be great. My hunting buddy andgot oneof the boresighters that we got for cheap and absolutely love it. We both slug gun hunt and rifle hunt and we check our guns with those every other day or so when we hunt so we can make sure our scope didn't get knocked around. Did a check 2 years ago and saw that a scope had been knocked off a bit. Saved us because he would have missed the next two deer he saw that trip.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

A "dumb question" is an oxymoron.

Cause I'm going to give you a less expensive answer.

Your eyeball.

The last time I needed to sight in a rifle, I used my workmate bench. I took out the bolt. I took my neighbor's bright orange vase and sighted the bore on the bright vase. Bright orange sure does show up in a clean bore. I then tightened the vise on the workmate, using a blanket to protect the rifle, and then sighted the scope onto the bright orange vase.

Of course, I have to admit to the brilliance of my neighbor for buying a bright orange flower vase.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to boresight your gun in as cheaply as possible here's the way to go. First, you must have a gun that is a single shot that breaks open or a bolt action with the bolt removed. Next, secure the gun and look through the bore and focus on a single object ( a certain red leaf/nail in the side of a barn/whatever). with your gun secured and the object of choice in sight through the bore, adjust your scope so the object is in the crosshairs. It will work the same as a boresighter device and you should be able to easily hit the paper when you go to zero the gun.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

i have never seen a good bore site job,they are always way off. shoot it at 25yds to get it close.

jerseyhunter,that would all depend on the caliber ,scope mount height,and bullet weight. with some guns siteing in at 50yds 2in high could put you way off at 100yds and a mile off at 200yds
Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ogg

I know this sounds dumb but instead of buying a expensive bore sighter can i just get one of those cheap laser pointers at walmart and slide it into the end of the barrel and adjust my scope to where the dot is?
Are you talking about a laser pointer like people use for presentations, teachers use, etc. If so then you will probably not be able to get the laser pointer in the barrel of the gun and even if you do it would have to fit snug in order to have a chance at being half way accurate. Then how would you push the button to shine the laser.

As far as sighting in goes, I know people who have spent hundreds on those high dollar laser boresighters. I sight mine in for no more than the cost of about 5 rds for whatever gun I am using. go to your local hardware store and get as big of a piece of cardboard as you can. Set it up about 22 yds (for my 270) from a stable shooting rest (sandbags, leadsled, etc). I just draw a big cross on the cardboard. At 22 yds I fire one really stable shot at the intersection of the lines and then measure how far I am off and make my adjustments. I usually have to do this one more time and then fire a third shot to see how close I am to my 2nd shot. May have to make adjustment one more time. Then move out to 100 yds. and fire a couple of shots and I am usually right at about 3.5-4 inches high at 100.

BTW a 270, with the ammo I use, zeroed in at 22 yds will be in the kill zone all the way out to 350+ yds and at 100 yds will be about 4 inches above my point of aim.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Here is another trick that I've seen done before at the range and I think there are some articles on it out there somewhere.

It only takesone bullet. Thats right, only one.

First off all, you need to have it boresighted in good enough to be on the paper. Secondly, secure the gun in place where it will not move. Take the shot. Next, check the gun and adjust if necessary so it is exactly on bullseye just like the first shot. With the gun secured and not moving at all, make your windage and elevation clicks so the center of the cross hairs line up to exactly where your bullet hit. You are now ready.

Quick Reply: I have a dumb question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.