Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have a dumb question

Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default I have a dumb question

I know this sounds dumb but instead of buying a expensive bore sighter can i just get one of those cheap laser pointers at walmart and slide it into the end of the barrel and adjust my scope to where the dot is?i know it will be off a inch or two beacuse the laser would not be centered in the barrel but it would be pretty close.sounds dumb but would it work?i have used one messing around outside with enough daylight to seeand could see the dot at 100 yards but didnt try it in a gun.probably think im nuts but it would save $$$.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM

Default RE: I have a dumb question

Got to accuscopeusa.com
They have good sighting cards in 1/4 moa/1/2 moa and one in 1/8 moa, they are 14.95 a piece way cheaper than a bore sighter and a bonus is no batteries. Take a look at it they work great.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Messed up the link just got to accuscopeusa.com
Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

ok but would my idea work?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM

It would work but how much are they at walmart like 30-40 dollars, your'e idea will work fine if you shoot at a range they can usally sight it in for you for 5 bucks or free. Your on the right track if that's what you want to do go ahead.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

outside with enough daylight to see and could see the dot at 100 yards but didnt try it in a gun.probably think im nuts but it would save $$$.
Don't forget you don't want to site in at 100. You ite it in 2" high at 50 and gravity will take care of the rest.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been a fan of boresighting it. I've had a few guns boresighted and most of the time the scope was off further than if I just put the scope on and shot it and checked to see how I needed to adjust it.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't need a bore sighter at all...

If a bolt, remove it and look through the barrel, align the crosshairs with a target at 50 yards, replace the bolt and shoot to check...

If not a bolt, put your target at 20 yards, sight in and then back up to 50 then 100...

Even with an expensive bore sighter, you have to sight in with the ammo to be used...
Old 02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

yah bore sights to me never did make a whole lot of sense anyway it's not like your putting a new scope on that particular gun every week anyway. Sight it in once and be done with it, of course check on occasion to make sure it is still good.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ogg

I know this sounds dumb but instead of buying a expensive bore sighter can i just get one of those cheap laser pointers at walmart and slide it into the end of the barrel and adjust my scope to where the dot is?i know it will be off a inch or two beacuse the laser would not be centered in the barrel but it would be pretty close.sounds dumb but would it work?i have used one messing around outside with enough daylight to seeand could see the dot at 100 yards but didnt try it in a gun.probably think im nuts but it would save $$$.
Its not a dumb question at all.
GunSmiths use them.
If you are only going to use it one time, see if someone you know has one and borrow it.
Or just buy one at walmart and keep it.
JMHO

Quick Reply: I have a dumb question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.