Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Processing ques

Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default Deer Processing ques

This may sound stupid, but i have been hunting for about 10 years. Each year when we get deer we field dress and then take them to a processor. I am considering butchering my own this year (here comes the stupid part) but don't really know where to start.

I guess what i am saying is i don't know where to take the meat from on a deer other than the obvious places like hind qtr etc...

Is there any help you can give me, diagrams or ?? to help me start doing this all myself?

sorry for the stupid question.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Processing ques

Not a stupid question at all! I googled "butchering deer" and got 2,400,000 matches. That should keep you studying for a while.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

You have shoulders,hind quarters,backstraps ,tendrloins(or fish, what you want to call them) ,ribs and the neck.

its not hard to learn,if you watch someone a few times you will be a pro. i've taught about 20 people how to do it.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM

It is definitely one of those things you have to do a few times to learn. You can be as picky as you want to be when it comes to getting meat off a deer. I find that I usually get more meat off my deer myself than a butcher because I can take my time. Butchers/ processors have to do thousands of deer and often are trying to cut them as quickly as possible. I am not saying they don't do a good job but I like saving the 50 to 60 bucks processing costs.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

i process my own deer it took me a few times to get it down the back straps were the hardest thing for me but they covered most of your question
Old 02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Most important is to hang it in a controlled cool room for at least a week. Believe me.... it makes a big difference in tenderness and flavor..
Old 02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Semi,

Here is a good thread over on AT:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=730292

You can also find some good videos on youtube. Just do a search on youtube

Bob
Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

The link to AT is very good if you want to learn how to butcher. Although his way seems that it would take much longer than mine. I use a "food grade" sawzall to cut all legs off and between hind quarter. Just use a new blade and you'll be safe. Also you don't have to be so methodical about deboning the shoulder and hindquarters if it is going to be used for burger, sausage, or jerky. Just don't forget the tenderloins on the inside they are the most important part. I don't worry about cutting up the hindquarters and shoulders really nicely because I grind all mine for burger and such saves me a lot of time this way. If you want steaks of roast from the hindquarter look at the thread from AT. If you have a friend or family member that butchers their own I would go and watch and help them. Personally hands on experience is the best training tool in meat processing.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've butchered my own for over 20 years. I don't have any special equipment. I have a grinder attachment for a Kithenaid mixer, and it works fine for the very small amount of ground meat I make.

My advice is to learn how to make theprimary cuts like Loins, sirloin tip, top , bottom and eye of round, front shoulders and neck. What you have now are fairly large pieces of meat. At this point I may cut these into two or more pieces to get the amount I'llneed for each use. I leave roasts as I'll use them, and I don't cut loins, sirloins or roundsinto steaks. Instead I freeze them and cut after it is thawed out (or while still half frozen). The bigger you leave it for freezing the better it lasts. Bone everything, don't use a saw.

I also like to hang deer for a week if I can, but if I can't I mark the packages of venison that should be taken from the freezer at least a week in advance of when I'll use it. It can age in the fridge that way.

The benefit of doing your own will be obvious. You'll taste the difference.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries DVD,"A Professional Guide to Field Dressing, Skinning and Butchering Deer" (DVD) in my opinion, is thebest video I have seeon this topic.It is worth the $12.

https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=VW250

Quick Reply: Deer Processing ques

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.