Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Inexpensive slug gun?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Spike

Default Inexpensive slug gun?

I'm looking to get an inexpensive rifled barrel slug shotgun for deer hunting. First of all, any favorites? Second, is there any advantage with a 12 guage or is a 20 guage slug gun adequate for deer hunting?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Inexpensive slug gun?

I'd go with a Remington 870.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got 3 slug guns already all 12 gauge. I'm really interested in the NEF (New England Firearms) Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge. Lots of guys are reporting great groups and it's easy on the pocket book. I think one can be had for around $200 bare bones.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I've got 3 slug guns already all 12 gauge. I'm really interested in the NEF (New England Firearms) Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge. Lots of guys are reporting great groups and it's easy on the pocket book. I think one can be had for around $200 bare bones.
that's a good deal...if you already have a shotgun, check with american barrel company..they make rifled replacement barrels for most major manufactures...they are also around $200...alot less than the originals
Old 02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

H&R Ultra Single Shot, or a Mossberg 500 both are inexpensive, with money to spare for a decent scope...20ga will put down deer size game jst as fast as 12ga
Old 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM

go with the h&r 20 you will love it. for the money it is the best choice and will shoot better then alot of high dollar slug guns
Old 02-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Well if you already have a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun I would look at Hastings replacement barrels or American barrel company as stated above. Will be cheaper than buying a new gun but if you want to buy a new gun more power to ya.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 AM

I have a mossberg 500A 3in 12 ga I bought a slug barrel with cantilever scope mount on it the gun shoots accurate and is versatile due to interchangealbe barrels.I also incorporated a full stock with a pistol grip which gives more stability.I know Dicks Sporting Goods always have sales on these and you can sometimes getthe slug barrel included.It is one of the most reliable guns I own, never had a mechanicle problem with it.I use it for duck hunting,shooting slugs,buckshot,and bird shot. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt at Fort Knox (as often as I can get drawn) and use a shotgun that I set up for that purpose.

I started with a Remington 1100 with a 28" Remchoked barrel (still use for Turkey hunting)...bought a 20" fully rifled barrel with rifle sights from Remington via Cabelas ($220)...had the receiver drilled and tapped and added a full length weaver mount...

I have two scopes set in quick release rings for that shotgun...a 3-9x40 for deer hunting with the rifled barrel (the rifle sights give me a backup system in case the scope fails during a hunt) and a 1-4x32 circle plex with the 28" vent-ribbed barrel for turkey hunting...

Modern sabot loads like the Hornady SSTs make a 20 gauge as effective as a 12 gauge for deer hunting...a 12 gauge gives you better flexability for turkey, waterfowl, etc.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 AM

I would get the H & R slugmaster in 20 gauge, they are very reasonably priced and super accurate. I have actually killed deer at 145 yards with a good quality sabot. You wont be dissapointed, I think they run about $200.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive slug gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.