Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 deer and osage oranges/hedge apples >

deer and osage oranges/hedge apples

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer and osage oranges/hedge apples

Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer and osage oranges/hedge apples

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

Where I grew up, we always called them Monkey Balls.

As kids we always called them "brains".Actually, traditional shooters LOVE Osage wood for making bows. As was already said, this wood is quite flexable, and SUPER STRONG!!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 AM

They also make good fence posts I'm going to start cutting some when it warms up a little again I just may have to try and make a bow. I'll have to see if I can get some plans.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if deer like it but Osage Orange is one of the all time favorite trad bow woods particularly for self bows.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Down this way (Alabama) I call these "Mock Orange" trees.You see thme most of the time along a fence line. The wood makes excellent stick bows and from what I have read about the history of Alabama tribes, evidence at village sites indicates that this tree has been used for 1000's of years for such.

The fruit tastes terrible. Trust me on this. Sort of a bland-bitter taste. About as bad as a half ripe persimmon. Just not quite as sharp.

I have never ovserved a deer or any other animal eating them though I have seen the surface of a few that appeared to have beennibbled on by some critter.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 AM

I have always heard these are one of the last things they eat when other food sources are scarce
Exactly...Around me, these apples are a LAST pick. They eat frozen grass over these.

I have about 20 Osage trees in my yard. I always see squirrels eating and carrying these apples, butrarely everdeer.

In fact, I probably wouldnt even find a single deer track in the snownear these trees.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BlackFive782

I have always heard these are one of the last things they eat when other food sources are scarce
Exactly...Around me, these apples are a LAST pick. They eat frozen grass over these.

I have about 20 Osage trees in my yard. I always see squirrels eating and carrying these apples, butrarely everdeer.

In fact, I probably wouldnt even find a single deer track in the snownear these trees.
X2. The squirrels sure do like them but if the deer are touching them than you know most other available food sources have been exhausted. I used to think the deer were killing them until I sat over a treea few timesand watch the squirrels go at them and the deer just walk by.