Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are we going about this all wrong? >

Are we going about this all wrong?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are we going about this all wrong?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are we going about this all wrong?

I honestly don't think most hunters understand how well the deer's sense of smell is. Biologist say it is uncomprehensible for humans to realize this. Most hunters say a deer's sense of smell is extremely good and they respect it. I do as well but "extremely well' is putting it mildly. IMO, no matter how well you tried to be scent free, if you are not downwind - you are busted. Deer will tolerate many scents in the woods but the smell of man will trigger a response every single time.

As previouly mentioned about touching branches, this is the biggest mistake hunters make. Leaving your nasty, oily, humanscent on branches, leaves etc. is the worse thing you can do. Wearing gloves, even thin gloves in warmer weather will go a long way. Plus, while most hunters try to be scent free, they constantly leave their scent on their clothing when getting ready to enter the woods. This is especially true with boots. Not wearing gloves will again leave your scent each step you walk.

So, how do you get to shoot an animal that is this good? Like everyone says keeping your scent away from his nose. Hunting downwind always, as well as high above him so you scent may not be detected. No hunter can ever be scent free! If you feel that using spray on scent eliminators helps you, go for it. I never do because I honestly don't think it works. Just because you may think you're more scent free, doesn't mean the deer do. That doesn't mean you should carry foreign odors (gasoline, smoke, camp smells, aftershave, etc) with you in the woods.

I read a hunting article years ago that said shooting a deer was easy. All you have to do is put the sights on his vitals and shoot. The article went on to say the hardest part was putting yourself in position to put the sights on his vitals. If the deer does not hear you, see you or smell you, he does not realize he is being hunted. It's easy to not be seen or heard but more difficult not to be smelled. Forget about all those commercial scent free products, use common sense, always hunt downwind or high above the forest floor and you will be able to put the sights on his vitals.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just rub yourself down in cow crap. They are use to that smell.Just kiddin
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

It doesn't matter what you wear or what you wash with, you will never "fool" a whitetail's nose. An animal with more scent receptors than a dog will smell you if the wind is in their favor no matter what you do. Get above the wind or have it in your face.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a lot of stinky hunters, they just stay downwind
Old 01-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well this guy sat for 2 hours smoking cig after cig. (note, the one behind his ear)
He got up to leave but sat back down to have one more cig...

As he was putting his butt out, he heard a snap of a branch
and this nice 9 pointer stopped 35 yards from him long enough to get a shot.

A good wind in your favor has gotten a few deer dead through out the test of time!!!
I have a few more stories like this one and it makes me wonder why I try so hard sometimes???
I will say, that I would rather be lucky, than good, any day of the week!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently read a post somewhere on one of the hunting forums where a fellow claims he makes no attempt at scent control...and wants to smell as bad as he possibly can....claiming that the deer can't figure out what he is. He kills a lot of deer. There's a fellow I work with that you cannot stand to get near him...he smells that bad. I've often wondered how he kills so many deer smelling as bad as he does. My dad hunted during the 50's 60's 70's staying at camp for days at a time never taking a bath, and killed deer.
Have you ever watched a dog roll in something really stinky like poop or another dead animal? The major theory why dogs will roll in smelly material is based on the relationship of domesticated canines to wolves. Wolves will often roll in decomposing carcasses or the feces of plant eating animals or herbivores. This would mask their own scent and enable them to sneak up on their prey without detection.

It may or may not work but I believe in scent control because I've been busted so many times when I didn't take the time to use it.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Baybuzzard, I hear what your saying I too feel the same way. Hearing these sloppy hunters stories how they stumble out into the woods an hour or two after first light, bathing with regular soap, smoking before or during hunting, making all kinds of noise getting into their climbers, and the list goes on. And these guys bag deer time after time, mostly based on luck. One of the worst, just this year a guy on the same jobsite came in braggin about this big buck he shot, he was washing dishes and seen him out the window at his feeder and salt lick, so he snuck out in flip flops and shorts regular clothes and shot him in his yard 20 yards with bow. Meanwhile, I am pretty concious with scent, bath in dead down wind, use scent lock, rubber boots,and still got busted 2x heading into my morning hunting spots. It can get pretty frustrating when you go through the extra hassle and you hear that deer blow. But I will continue to do the same cause it will increase the chances of fooling a deers nose but never 100%. There is always some scent they will pick up on.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Spike

Thx for the comments guys. I would like to elaborate more on what I was getting at. I wish I could recall the forum & topic that the fellow who posted he didn't use any form of scent control and wanted to smell bad was...but I can't. This guy is a bowhunter, does most of his hunting on the ground, and kills deer that come in from down-wind. He posted pics of some mighty fine mature bucks he's killed. Also, I failed to mention another bow-hunter I know that camps during the whole 6 week season where I bow hunt. He kills quite a few deer. And doesn't really practice scent control (no showers where he camps). Smokes like a chimney too. From all this I decided to do a search on human body odor, and saved a bunch of material on the subject...just haven't read it yet. Anyway... strong BO may not be quite the same as normal human odor. It is a chemical conversion by bacteria into another form. Makes me wonder if our efforts are eliminating the ultimate cover scent! But for the time being I will continue to practice scent control and play the wind.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Spike

I dont worry about it, and am aboev average for the number of deer I harvest in my area.

Most deer these days are accustomed to human smells.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baybuzzard, in my opinion the guy you are referring to being stinky as possible and having deer come in down wind and killing big deer might just be lying.

Quick Reply: Are we going about this all wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.