Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What type of deer stand do you use? >

What type of deer stand do you use?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What type of deer stand do you use?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What type of deer stand do you use?

I have a ladder stand and a ground blind. I like them each for different things. the ladder is nice for expanding my field of view while being very comfortable. the ground blind is nice for portability and getting out of the snow or rain.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

You need to add Loc-On type option.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 AM

I hunt with a climber because of the mobility in the rut season in the rifle season i hunt from blinds from the ground unless visability is poor then i use the climber.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use climbers, hangons and ladder stands. i usually buy whatever i can afford and if they're built right. it doesnt matter what kind they are
Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My answer is neither. I have 16 stands on my property, and nine of them are lock ons. Three tripods, two box stands, and two ladders make up the rest.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 PM

i killed my biggest deer out of a box stand....but i hunt out of a climber about 95% of the time....if possible, i like to get at least 30 foot high...not only to be hidden, but for scent control...also with a climber, the deer have no idea its there...if you buy a climber, make sure its aluminum, and has cables...quietness is your main objective, followed by comfort and weight..
Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

I only use a stand during bow season, that being said I use a climber, and a few I have built myself as well as ground blinds. I think the climber is the best, it gives me options and I can change location even half way through a hunt if need be! It just leaves me options, and I like that.
-Jake
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Also, what type is best? I am looking to buy one. I will be doing mostly bowhunting. What are advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks
I take it that you currently don't own any treestands? If not and you are only buying one I suggest a top notch climber or a light hangon with climbing sticks. You can't beat either for hunting different places IF you are only going to use one. For multiple setups I suggest accumulating several hangons and leave them up in your favorite spots if possible and you won't have them stolen.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've owned all types.... hang on, climbers, ladders, Every year I sell the old hang ons/climbers remaining and buy new ladder stands, they're all I use.

I'm almost always hunting with my father, so I have another set of hands to move a stand etc..., but once they're in place, they're awesome.

I still own one nice climber, which I never use anymore, because I just put a climber in a new area when thinking of trying a new area, if you dont know where youre gonna hunt etc....a climber is nice for that, but ladders have the most room/comfort out of any stands, period. I like a big platform, big fold up seat, shooting rail.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

summit viper!!!

Quick Reply: What type of deer stand do you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.