Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often do deer shed their antlers? >

How often do deer shed their antlers?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often do deer shed their antlers?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How often do deer shed their antlers?

Every year, unless they are shotand tagged, which causes an interruption in the shedding process. There are however what we call cactus bucks that are born with both sets of sexual organs which cause deformity in the antlers and theantlers on these deer can keep growing (usually in a grotesque manner and without shedding the velvet) year round.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Like how many years do they keep the same set or does it vary by the deer?
I believe the current record is 8 years, held by a deer in New York...
Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Ya i have also herd of button bucks shedding their buttons, but have never found any. I have seen pictures of them that other peoplehave found though, but they used dogs to find them.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stand corrected.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Trying to find BB sheds is like trying to find a nickle in that same woods. Nearly impossible. However, the do shed their buttons. If they did not shed them, how do you explain their growth to a basket rack as 1.5 yr olds. Buttons are dead bone (for lack of a better word) and won't grow after losing their velvet (yes BBs have velvet, just goes mostly unnoticed). The pedicle must be exposed for new growth to take place in the spring and summer.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

if a bucks antlers break threw the skin he becomes a spike ,onlythen can he shed . so a true button buck couldn't shed ,his antlers are still covered up with skin.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bucks with antlers shed them once per year.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

if a bucks antlers break threw the skin he becomes a spike ,onlythen can he shed . so a true button buck couldn't shed ,his antlers are still covered up with skin.
Well I'll be damned. After 25 years of hunting and seeing what everyone in my state of Indiana has called button bucks, I now have to admit that I have never ever in my life seen a button buck. I have never seen a male deer with antlers (buttons) that have never broke skin. I am not saying that they don't exist, just that in 25 years of deer hunting I have never seen it. But obviously I have see a ton of spikes (as you call them), you know, those deer that have horny protrusions coming of their skull that maybe 1/2 inch long and don't still up above the hair and are not identified by most hunters until the deer is dead. Maybe it is a virgina thing, but obviously Indiana is devoid of button bucks.

UMMMMMM the sweet taste of sarcasm!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

i found this picture on google. It is a person holding a button buck shed.(not me) I have no clue how he found it but believe it or not,here it is...
Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

they shed their antlers once a year. usually around the middle of january

Quick Reply: How often do deer shed their antlers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.