Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I need advice on my first deer rifle >

I need advice on my first deer rifle

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need advice on my first deer rifle

Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I need advice on my first deer rifle

get the savage in 270win.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Spike

There's only one good pawn/gun shop here in Auburn and they are really rude and overpriced. There is a good one in Huntsville though, where I'm from so maybe when I'm up there for spring break (right after my birthday) I can check out some of the stuff they have. I'm not sure what the nef handi-rifle is. Sounds like a good deal though. Thanks for all the reply's guys

Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personaly think the 270 is what I would buy. Find a decent rifle chambered in it. The Rem 700 is a proven gun for sure. Haven't shot to many savage rifles. But I'm sure they are ok too. I've got a good number of Remington firearms and love every one.

As for a scope I have used several scopes under the 100 mark. Simmons are pretty decent for less money. But stay away from Tasco. I've had and heard other peoples acounts of the lenses and/or cross hairs coming loose or falling out... Talk about worthless junk. Turned me off from tasco at all. I hear thier high end stuff is OK but the cheap stuff is crap...JMO of course.

Good luck ....Oh and don't forget to post pics when you get it....
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Spike

I've been reading up on savages. They seem like really good guns for the money. Apparently they're pretty accurate for being "budget" guns in some cases. My .22 is a savage and I love it. I'll have to check out the remington 700 I've gotten a lot of recommendations for it lately. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Jeff Cooper used to quote Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Sage advice, especially for a first rifle.

-nosualc
Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Spike

Hahahaha, wow, that's a great quote. I've got to remember that one.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM

I would like to "second" several opinions, which would have been my recommendation.

The .30-06 is the way to go if you're planing to travel outside of bama for larger game. However, If you staying in bama, the .270 is a great rifle. However, I'd still recommend the .243 over the .270. Especially if you're shooting predators.

Glass is just as, if not more important that the rifle. I would recommend the NEF / H&R Handi-Rifle. It's a no frills single shot rifle that is well made ( I have one). I would then put a $150 scope on it, which is still fairly "cheap" scope. This will give to a 200 - 300 yard rifle for anything in bama.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Spike

I'll have to see if I can find any of these rifles. I haven't seen them anywhere. I'll check it out. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our Wal-Mart had and I say had as I called about it the other night and they said they didn't have any but I'm not sure if he just didn't know they had them or they really didn't as he didn't have time to look and told me they had 770's. However, when I was in there a week and a half or so ago I saw a Remington model 700 in a .270 in synthetic stock on clearance for $300. I wish I had bought it. I would have if I had of had the extra money. I have a buddy that has one in wood and a older one and he absolutely loves that thing.

I've not had the best luck with my Remington 870 but other than that I've had okay luck with Remington guns. Maybe check and see what Wal-Mart has.

Another friend bought a Savage in a .243 there also I think he payed something like $419 and his is a nice looking rifle and has a scope. He likes the scope and is a very good shot with it. Infact one of the guys that's probably the best shot or one of the best shots I know was saying how much he liked the gun and scope. I know some guys on here say they are crap though. If they fail you can just upgrade. More than likely however, they would last you a while or at least long enough to save up some to upgrade. Heck I have a $30 Tasco well $31 something now that has been good to me on my Muzzle loader. I like it better than my $223 Leupold VX-I and have had better luck with it. So if you got a gun with no scope you could get something like that to get you by.

That being said I bought a Browning BAR 30-06 for my first large caliber rifle. As in bigger than .22 caliber and I like the 30-06 round a lot for deer.I like the gun but it's very picky on which ammo it shoots accurately. That is to get good groups. I'm also not sure that you could find one in your budget. I wanted a semi auto that's why I got this but I'm not sure if I was on a tight budget I'd get a semi auto or pay anywhere near what that gun cost.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hold off on the savage until the new Accustock models hit the shelf (if they havent already) Or get at least get a wood stock model. Ive owned several savages but the synthetic stocks were awful.

for a scope, Check out natchez shooters supply, they have a great scope on sale now for around 75$, theyre called intensity optics 3-10X44 ,they are the old simmons atec (I think) before Meade took over simmons. I would compare those scopes to a bushnell 3200 elite or nikon buckmaster. I came across them the other day and were actually still in stock, at that point at least. I would have snatched up a couple if I wasnt spending all my $$$ hording ammo

Quick Reply: I need advice on my first deer rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.