Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best hunting story?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:49 AM

Default best hunting story?

i have a lot of hunting storys and not all have been cause i got a deer
but this year was the best

me and my dad was hunting a 40 woods and i had my 10 year old brother with me in the blind ( showing him how to hunt) the night before that i had almost got a big 10 point so i went back to that spot, my dad said he was just gonna walk around and find a tree to go up in, so we split and went out about 30 min later i could hear my dads call so i knew he was close ( he was 80 yards in some brushy spot and i did not know it till after the hunt) , after about an hour i heard a deer walking over were i had seen the 10 point go ,then it stop, 15 min. later dad said on the radio that a buck was coming my way so i thought had some time to tell my brother what to do when the deer is here ( wrong) the deer was 20 yards when i looked out the wondow to get ready! the buck saw me and turned around to go back as he went he turnd just enough for me to shoot he stop at 40 yards i let it go and hit right at the lungs he took of

well now it was dark and my dad came over just had this smile on his face he said he saw me after he got in the tree he dont know how he got that close! but he said he drew back on the buck but he stop in some limbs so he let it go my way!!! so he knew we had this buck traped lol. i was useing 2 3/4 cuts so he heard it hit he said ( and knowing how i shoot this deer was done) so we tracked up the hill about 80 yards there he was! a 6 point with a lot of memorys with it
this was my best hunt
1 had my little brother with me
2 my dad got to see it
3 it was my birthday buck
4 i got it with my new bow
5 seeing my dad face smileing and my brother
that beats any thing this world has to offer!

tell your best story of this years hunt!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best hunting story?

Here's my best from this year.
Well, I took about 15 of my students to the fairone week and one of the mothers told me her son was interested in hunting. I told her I would be more then happy to take him since he was one of my most respectable youth. So he spent the night with my wife and I the next weekend,we spent an hour and a half going over shot placement, ballistics, scent control, and firearms safety because he had never hunted before and didn't know much about guns. I woke him up at 3:30in themorning for his first hunt ever. We left the house and took the hour andhalf toride to the hunting land. My favorite place to hunt is a one man 14' tripod so we were force to wrap the legs with camo burlap making a blindand sit under it. It was a slow morning and the weather was nasty as we watched the light fight to chase away the overcast sky. Shooting light came at 6:37 am and we saw nothing he did great for the first hour but began to fidgit complaining of his butt going to sleep. I know the deer were moving late so I tried to keep his attention focused on looking for deer crossing the fire break about 8:00 the quite was interupted by rifles firing in the didtance and his excitment began to rise. Suddenly at 8:15 I looked to my left and over his shoulder as a spike walked out at 25 yards. I began tapping him on the shoulder saying "Deer, Deer, Deer" He acted like a pro he had been sitting there at ready with my Marlin 30-30 on a monopod, he swung the gun to the side and started to aim off hand. I turned to back him up with my 270 and accidentally bumped a tripod leg with my rifle with that heart sinking clank getting the deers attention. The little deer didn't run before Tyler put the crosshairs on the shoulder and let him have it. The deer reered up on his hind legs and ran into the brush. I patted him on the back a few times and you could see the excitement beaming off his face we looked back forward and saw his deer dart into another firebreak and run 100 yards away and dart into the brush. Tyler jumped up to take off after him but I grabbed him and told him we didn't want to push the deer. We waited about 10 min and walked down the fire break to see if there was any blood, the deer was leaking like a stuck pig and the blood looked good so I felt good about the shot, but I told him we were going to back out and give him some more time because he had already traveled farther then he should have. we went back to the truck and unloaded our gear and then circled around the head of woods he had ran into to see if he had made it out. Tylerwasn't to helpful looking for blood because he's color blind so it was up to me. I love tracking deer but didn't get to do much of it because we practically stepped on him on the otherside of the pines he jumped into. We then saw why the deer had ran off 200 yards after a 25 yard shot with a 30-30 and LR ammo. Tyler had pulled the shot and hit the broadside deer in the neck clipping the jugular vain. We were both proud I think I was a little more then he though. He was a 108# spike and a fine first deer for anyone.

This is Tyler he's 15 and he has hunted all of 2 hours his whole life.

Attachment (1)

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe teach him some muzzle control.Just sayin', what with all the anti's out there.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crokit

Maybe teach him some muzzle control.Just sayin', what with all the anti's out there.
The kid was excited seeing that is was his first deer and jerked the trigger hard. We had a nice little talk about it and he wants to get another next year and make a perfect shot just to prove he can.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:15 AM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

The kid was excited seeing that is was his first deer and jerked the trigger hard. We had a nice little talk about it and he wants to get another next year and make a perfect shot just to prove he can.
that is great i am 15 as well but i have hunted for about 5 years it takes some time to get the hang of it!
keep up the good work
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM

lol need some more storys
Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Actually, I wasn't referencing the shot he made, but the position of the weapon in the picture.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Long story - short version.

I took a shot at a deer in a field with my 54 cal muzzleloader, shooting maxiballs that I cast myself. I overestimated the range to the deer and held high on the shoulder. I shot, the deer dropped instantly, then thrashed, regained its feet and ran out of the field, following a trail I knew about. I reloaded and went to the last spotI saw the deer. It was raining and getting dark. Took a few steps into the woods and heard the deer blowing. Couldn't see a thingnow, so came back next AM at light. Looked in the areaall AM, nothing. Went back to the edge of the field and for some odd reason, stopped where the deer entered the woods, and looked down. There at my feet was a 54 cal maxiball, with rifling grooves cut in it, slightly mushroomed, with a bit of fat on it. Looking back to where I shot from, about 250-300 yds away, the spot the deer dropped and thespot I shot from were all in a straightline.

I figure I hit the deer on the top of the back and the bullet went through, and came to rest where I found it. So I recovered my bullet, but not the deer.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM

dang that happends
Old 03-07-2009, 05:40 PM

Here's the story of my first deer...

It was opening morning of the PA rifle opener. My dad and I walk up onto the hill that our family (grandpa, uncles, cousins) always sits on for atleast the first few hours. We picked a nice lower corner that sits adjacent to the edge of a large christmas tree patch. We always see at least one deer running somewhere in this area and he figured it would make the perfect spot seeings howI was just ayoung hunter. Well we gotsat down at about 7:00am and had only been sitting for about ten minutes when we heard two shots coming from the christmas trees. We heard brush andsticks snapping soI got myself ready. SUddenly a very respectably five point burst through the brush, saw us, and stopped dead in his tracks (no pun intended). My dad whispered "Take your time." but before he could finish the sentence i was on the deer and made the shot. Thebuck dropped right there. We waited a few minutes and then walked over to recover my deer. As we were admiring my buck, the man who had shot the first fewtwo times walkedthrough the brush andover to us. He wanted to know ifI had killed the deer andcongratulated me. It was nice meeting him, even though this was our private land. This happened many years ago but it still feels like yesterday. It was a greatexperience.

Quick Reply: best hunting story?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.