Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Trees to shield field from road >

Trees to shield field from road

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trees to shield field from road

Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trees to shield field from road

I agree that the Leland Cypress and Virginia pine would be a good choice as they grow pretty fast. I would plant about three or four rows of them staggering each row. Yellow pine would eventually be pretty poor cover from the road.
I planted yellow pine for the same purpose and after about 10 yrs they offered little concealment by themselves. I then planted wild rose and honey suckle on the fences and am happy with that.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pine for sure. You can plant pine fairly close together and they will grow pretty well. This will not only shield your field it will also server as a food source for deer and other animals. Dont expect immediate results. Pines do grow fast but it will take some time to achieve what you are looking for. And Id plant more than 1 row, got atleast 3-5 rows.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:58 AM

I know around here alot of people use pines and spruces. Especially the colorado blue spruce. They get gigantic. Not sure if it's the most economical way to go though.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Makea 10 foot strip between the road and the filed to plant eery bushes! Plant red pines inside that strip and I guarantee it wiil block eyes, keep people out and feed the birds and such.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have been checking on trees for my home to use as privacy/windbreak. I think I may go with these because of price, they seem pretty cheap, and rate of growth. I just have to find out how cold hardy they are.

http://aussiewillow.com/index.html
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

my uncle uses pine trees along the road because he does QDM and doesnt want anyone from the road seeing the deerand so they dont shoot them
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

If eastern red cedar is a native tree there then that is what I would use. It is hardy and would form a screen fairly quickly that can completely block the vision of the road warriors. Once it is well established, deer would use your property closer to the road more too.

I'm sure that the TN state forester or DNR would give you free advice too. They may even supply trees free or at a minimal charge. (The state is a big help for such things here in Iowa.)

Bob