Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Smallest Caliber For  Deer Hunting >

Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Your funny pretty boy. Barbie and Ken probably taught you what life is all about.

ORIGINAL: shooter1966

LMAO.....so while you guys who were hard up for money were poa...err using .22's was "YA'll" sharing the batteries in the spotlight or did ya have a car with a functional cigarette lighter????

shooter.....just callin like it probably went down.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

the .243 is the smallest i would go. i would never use anything smaller than that on a deer. i use a .243 right now and it barely knocks deer over so i wouldnt use anything smaller
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

I also think 30-06 isa bit muchfor whitetails however the versatility of this cal is outstanding hence I own one.My preference would be the .25-06-.270 caliber range. I have never shota .243 so I cannot comment either way.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Spike

I would say a 22-250
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 AM

243 bolt action is the smallest that I will go. That said, I used to shoot a 30-06 but sold it in favor of a 7mm Rem Mag based on what I've seen it do at 210 yards. I just wasn't really impressed with the 06 after that.It was a good clean shot but most likely only took out one lung due to the lack of blood trail that I witnessed. The doe ran a good 700 yards into the next property over before it gave up the ghost. The owners denied that they seen it although there was blood all over next to thier cabin and I did some scouting on my own after hours. Oh well, I can't prove anything and only come off as paranoid.

I hear that the 7 Mag really puts them down in thier tracks and with the extra terminal velocity I figured I could not go wrong.Yeah I know, I hear a lot of arm chair quarterbacks on the web say that a 30-06 will take them down fast at distances well past that but I don't really know about that.

I round that turns the lungs and heart into jelly and produces a soft ball sized exit wound is the round that I want to use! It puts the animal down as quickly as possible. Yeah, it's a mess but it's nothting this old survivalist Marine cannot handle.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I'm making a slingshot out of some large paper clips and good sized rubber band. I used to make some awesome slingshots as a kid so I plan to take some African Lions with it on safari next month. I wrap my own paper projectiles using the finest color copy paper. The outfitter I contacted agreed to take me as long as I pay in full up front.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

I'm making a slingshot out of some large paper clips and good sized rubber band. I used to make some awesome slingshots as a kid so I plan to take some African Lions with it on safari next month. I wrap my own paper projectiles using the finest color copy paper. The outfitter I contacted agreed to take me as long as I pay in full up front.
NO WAY! I've always wanted to take a nice buck with a slingshot! Can you guide me in the right direction?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

223 is plenty for thesub 200 lbdeer around here, Maybe a 243 for up north and bears and elephants and stuff.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM

None of you guys must of ever lived on a farm or went through rough times, all of y'all must think life is so easy. If it is the only thing you have use it. But if you can afford something else get the bigger rifle. But I was gonna ask you guys should I get a 10 gauge with buckshot for squirrel, the thing I was worried about is if it will have enough knockdown power, because I don't want to go hunting under gunned. Well maybe I'll go watch some pansy ass hunting shows and get myself a .50 bmg for deer. You guys can argue about .22 knockdown power all you want we have a permit to use rimfire. If ya'll did'nt read correctly we have to cull deer weekly or monthly year round. The deer eat our crops if we let them we'd be living in cardboard boxes and wiping our asses with leaves. I will continue to use any gun I want.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: .243Heartshot

None of you guys must of ever lived on a farm or went through rough times, all of y'all must think life is so easy. If it is the only thing you have use it. But if you can afford something else get the bigger rifle. But I was gonna ask you guys should I get a 10 gauge with buckshot for squirrel, the thing I was worried about is if it will have enough knockdown power, because I don't want to go hunting under gunned. Well maybe I'll go watch some pansy ass hunting shows and get myself a .50 bmg for deer. You guys can argue about .22 knockdown power all you want we have a permit to use rimfire. If ya'll did'nt read correctly we have to cull deer weekly or monthly year round. The deer eat our crops if we let them we'd be living in cardboard boxes and wiping our asses with leaves. I will continue to use any gun I want.
2 ?s , where do you shoot the deer, and what part of TN is your farm?

Quick Reply: Smallest Caliber For Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.