Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Problem with nocturnal deer

Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Problem with nocturnal deer

I DONT LIKE BAITING,i'd move the bait deeper into cover. find the trail they use to get to the yard. find a thick spot where they will feel more comfortable in daylight. be 10 times more careful with human scent in that area. wait them out,try hunting on cloudy days ,deer will move more freely . plan on putting in lots of time,you said it was your first season hunting.

ARE YOU USEING COVER SCENT???? ODOR BLOCK OF SOME KIND?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

IF you are using a feeder and not just throwing it out, try controlling the amount of food and the timingthat is given out, so that the deer have no choice but to show up earlier if they care to get any free food. I have seen this turn a nocturnal herd into a late evening herd real quick like... Just an option.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

continue baiting during the off season but use a trail cam see what their times are they might be there during the day u just dont know it give it a try
Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

over the summer find a tree where you can see a lot and get a real comfortable stand or make one and sit up there a lot over the summer so you will know where the deer are
Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Spike

Apparently rut was heavily delayed in Idaho this year. For a general deer tag, in this zone, the season ended November 3, from reports before rut happened.. For a whitetail tag it went to Dec 1.

Depending upon the zone and type of tag the end of season was all over the place.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like you are hunting in your yard & very close to your house. I have a situation like this too. All summer I will watch deer out well before dark. As the season nears, patterns change and except for maybe the 1st couple days, they don’t hit the yards until after dark. BUT you can still catch them in the woods during legal shooting time. I would suggest moving as close to their bedding areas as you safely can. Also you may find that if you & all your neighbors are on a normal daytime workday schedule, those deer will show up midday because they know no one is around. Then during the evening they lay low until after dark. They will pattern you easier than you will pattern them.