Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost buck

Old 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lost buck

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

ORIGINAL: teedub31

gh you might not loose much meat! I lost an 8 point this year, I found him the next morning and the only thing lost was the tenderloins! Luckily, it was cool and the 'yotes didn't find him before I did!
I know how you feel. I've lost a few deer in my life. Just this year the day before hunting season ended I had a deer creep out to me and look around before coming into the field. He was about 35 yards from me and I shot him in the head and chest with my 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 000buckshot. I'm pretty sure I hit him good from the way he acted when I shot. He then turned and ran and I shot at the side of him but I'm not sure if I hit it or not. I found blood where I shot and also found blood in a few other spots but never could find the deer. Somone else had shot one earlier in the field next to where I was about 20 minutes earlier and said he knocked it down and it layed there for a few minutes but when he went to get it it jumped up and took off. We think it was the one I shot so more than likely it was already wounded. I looked and looked and had a buddy come help me look and we never did find it. I was pretty upset the whole day. I really just hate not finding a deer and just having wounded it. That's why I'm not crazy about shotguns as it seems to do that a lot. The next which was the last day of hunting season here I ended up shooting another doe this time with the rifle and it just fell over in it's tracks. Didn't move 2 feet from where I shot it. This made me feel a little better as I was happy to get another deer this season but I am still dissapointed I couldn't find that one.

Hopefully he can find his. I think losing them though is sometime we all go through at one point or another.
More anecdotal evidence as to why 00Buckshot is a poor choice of ammo to use on deer!
I don't disagree. I don't really like shotguns a whole lot for deer hunting but the spot I was in you just could not use a rifle. I was shooting 000 buckshot as it's what my shotgun seemed to pattern the best when I shot it target practicing. Grouped a lot better than 00. However, quite a few guys I hunt with seem to have no problem killing deer with buckshot so not sure why I have such bad luck. I suspect he didn't go far it was just super thick and while I went though most of it I could I suspect he just got somewhere I couldn't find him. It was wet and a fair bit of water too that kind of messed us up.

I think he was talking about slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He said 00 buckshot was not a good load. I thought about it and want to add that I've seen quite a few deer get away that have been shot and hit good with rifles with lots of blood. I shot one last year with my 30-06 and he instantly dropped. Since he dropped I got down out of the stand right then and when I got there he was gone. A buddy shot one this year with his .270 and shot it 3 times before it feel. All 3 were good hits. One a little far back but the other two were perfect. It was running when it went past him and he shot it and it didn't slow down. So he shot again and it slowed a little but kept running hard. He thought he missed so he shot a 3rd time and it didn't run much further.

I know quite a few more stories of deer that are hit with bows and run off never to be found. IMO bow hunting is the worst way to to just injure a deer.

I don't know while I personally don't like buckshot I don't think it's as bad for wounding deer as people make it out to be. I've wounded deer with it and never found them but I've also wounded a deer with a rifle and never found it as well as seen quite a few others get wounded with a rifle never to be found. I think it more has to do with the person shooting it.

So all in all I don't think buckshot is a bad load and I've seen quite a few and I mean quite a few deer get killed with it no problem where the deer just dropped right there. However, I haven't had that kind of luck with it. I've had bad luck with a rifle at times too however as well as seen others have bad luck with both. I've probably seen just as many deer killed with buckshot as I have rifles and in some hunting spots shotguns are just better.In others rifles are. I don't think any load is worse than the other really. You have to realize with buckshot you can't shoot a deer 200 yards away and as long as you realize that usually it does pretty good at close range as in 30-50 yards. I just got unlucky with the deer I shot with it.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Iv shot 6 deer with a 243 wssm with 100 grain bullets and iv never lost one or had one go more than 50 yards. I dropped a muley buck in his tracks at 350 yards,i double lunged him and broke both his shoulders.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: terbzz

Iv shot 6 deer with a 243 wssm with 100 grain bullets and iv never lost one or had one go more than 50 yards. I dropped a muley buck in his tracks at 350 yards,i double lunged him and broke both his shoulders.
That's the thing with the one I shot with the shotgun. He probably didn't go more than 50 yards but about 3 yards behind him it got super thick to where we could barely walk around in there and it was a major chore to move at all. That's what made it so hard to track him. It was super thick and my guess is she went in there and just layed down to where we couldn't see her. If I had of had a rifle I more than likely would still not have found it unless it just dropped right where it was as it was soo thick all around it except for infront of it where the field was. Since that's where I was and shot from it of course didn't come straight to me and the field after I shot.

I shot one with my 30-06 the next day and it didn't move 2 feet from where I shot it. Just dropped right there. I've also shot them with my 30-06 and knocked them down only to never find them.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

ORIGINAL: teedub31

gh you might not loose much meat! I lost an 8 point this year, I found him the next morning and the only thing lost was the tenderloins! Luckily, it was cool and the 'yotes didn't find him before I did!
I know how you feel. I've lost a few deer in my life. Just this year the day before hunting season ended I had a deer creep out to me and look around before coming into the field. He was about 35 yards from me and I shot him in the head and chest with my 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 000buckshot. I'm pretty sure I hit him good from the way he acted when I shot. He then turned and ran and I shot at the side of him but I'm not sure if I hit it or not. I found blood where I shot and also found blood in a few other spots but never could find the deer. Somone else had shot one earlier in the field next to where I was about 20 minutes earlier and said he knocked it down and it layed there for a few minutes but when he went to get it it jumped up and took off. We think it was the one I shot so more than likely it was already wounded. I looked and looked and had a buddy come help me look and we never did find it. I was pretty upset the whole day. I really just hate not finding a deer and just having wounded it. That's why I'm not crazy about shotguns as it seems to do that a lot. The next which was the last day of hunting season here I ended up shooting another doe this time with the rifle and it just fell over in it's tracks. Didn't move 2 feet from where I shot it. This made me feel a little better as I was happy to get another deer this season but I am still dissapointed I couldn't find that one.

Hopefully he can find his. I think losing them though is sometime we all go through at one point or another.
More anecdotal evidence as to why 00Buckshot is a poor choice of ammo to use on deer!
I don't disagree. I don't really like shotguns a whole lot for deer hunting but the spot I was in you just could not use a rifle. I was shooting 000 buckshot as it's what my shotgun seemed to pattern the best when I shot it target practicing. Grouped a lot better than 00. However, quite a few guys I hunt with seem to have no problem killing deer with buckshot so not sure why I have such bad luck. I suspect he didn't go far it was just super thick and while I went though most of it I could I suspect he just got somewhere I couldn't find him. It was wet and a fair bit of water too that kind of messed us up.

I think he was talking about slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He said 00 buckshot was not a good load. I thought about it and want to add that I've seen quite a few deer get away that have been shot and hit good with rifles with lots of blood. I shot one last year with my 30-06 and he instantly dropped. Since he dropped I got down out of the stand right then and when I got there he was gone. A buddy shot one this year with his .270 and shot it 3 times before it feel. All 3 were good hits. One a little far back but the other two were perfect. It was running when it went past him and he shot it and it didn't slow down. So he shot again and it slowed a little but kept running hard. He thought he missed so he shot a 3rd time and it didn't run much further.

I know quite a few more stories of deer that are hit with bows and run off never to be found. IMO bow hunting is the worst way to to just injure a deer.

I don't know while I personally don't like buckshot I don't think it's as bad for wounding deer as people make it out to be. I've wounded deer with it and never found them but I've also wounded a deer with a rifle and never found it as well as seen quite a few others get wounded with a rifle never to be found. I think it more has to do with the person shooting it.

So all in all I don't think buckshot is a bad load and I've seen quite a few and I mean quite a few deer get killed with it no problem where the deer just dropped right there. However, I haven't had that kind of luck with it. I've had bad luck with a rifle at times too however as well as seen others have bad luck with both. I've probably seen just as many deer killed with buckshot as I have rifles and in some hunting spots shotguns are just better.In others rifles are. I don't think any load is worse than the other really. You have to realize with buckshot you can't shoot a deer 200 yards away and as long as you realize that usually it does pretty good at close range as in 30-50 yards. I just got unlucky with the deer I shot with it.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

He didn't hit lung or you would have found the deer.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You want to make a statement like that and then contradict yourself in the very next paragraph. It doesn't matter what you shoot. If you shoot a deer with a bow, shotgun or rifle in the vitals, it is a dead deer period. If you miss the vitals it's more than likely going to be wounded and either die of infection or it will live. Please don't come on here and say that bowhunters wound more deer than anyone else. I find several deer each year after gun season in IL. with slug holes in them. These are the guys who just point and shoot because they think since they have a 1 oz. chunk of lead coming out of their barrell they think that no matter where they hit it will kill the deer.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

congratulations, you have been awarded the stupidest post ever on HNI award.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only know a handful of guys that bow hunt and all of them shoot several deer each year and are lucky if they find one or two of them. All of them have lots of stories each year about how they hit a deer and found blood but no deer. If they want to bow hunt I have no problem with it but I hear all of them talk about how many deer they have shot and hardly ever do I hear of them saying they were able to find it.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only know a handful of guys that bow hunt and all of them shoot several deer each year and are lucky if they find one or two of them. All of them have lots of stories each year about how they hit a deer and found blood but no deer. If they want to bow hunt I have no problem with it but I hear all of them talk about how many deer they have shot and hardly ever do I hear of them saying they were able to find it.
It's poor form to extrapolate information from your buddies, who are either terrible shots or terrible trackers, and extrapolate it to bowhunting in general. Archery does not typically generate the bloodflow that a wound from a gun would in the same spot, but I have shot a ton of deer with a bow and there's only a couple I never found (and those were when I made a terrible shot).
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bow hunt and rifle hunt. I can say the recovery rate ratio is much lower with the bow. I had my worst year ever this year, 3 out of 4 with a bow, that absolutley sucks. I shot a nice 8 pointer that seemed like a bit low but not that bad. Gave him an hour, we found a pool of blood (pink) foaming and even lung chunks, we must have pushed him because we followed a descent blood trail for 600 yds through several properties, never found him.
I am lucky to say 30 years with a rifle I have never lost one.
I use to think that if you lung them their dead and more than likely are but at what point. The lungs have lots of blood vessels some small and some large, it seem you can hit lung but not the major arteries and the deer go for a long time. It seems a little low a little high or a little far back and the deer go a long way. Put it dead center near thecrease of the shoulderandthey dont last long. Right there it will clip the major arteries of the heart and lungs. Just my observation.

Quick Reply: Lost buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.