HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/282845-food-plots.html)

bugle freak 01-15-2009 12:11 PM

Food Plots

Hey everyone, me and a buddy are looking into planting some foodplots this spring for deer this fall!

I was wondering what would be the best,eastiest, and most productive thing we could plant?

thanks

texas8point 01-16-2009 03:30 AM

RE: Food Plots

As long as its fenced off from the cows, my recomendation is Imperial Whitetail Power Plant in the spring and the Clover blend in the fall. I swear you won't be disappointed.

retrieverman 01-16-2009 05:30 AM

ORIGINAL: texas8point

As long as its fenced off from the cows, my recomendation is Imperial Whitetail Power Plant in the spring and the Clover blend in the fall. I swear you won't be disappointed.
I have been disappointed with every food plot that I have planted. I may have too much browse on my place, but my deer have never eaten anything that I have planted in the spring or fall.

I have planted Lab Lab, Biologics, Tecomate, cheap feed store "wildlife mix", clover, peas, corn, wheat, oats, rye... You name it, and I have probably planted it.

I QUIT!

I am going to start spending what I would spend on food plots for more ammo for more off season practice. I believe this will be more productive for my situation.

texas8point 01-16-2009 06:58 AM

So what your saying is, youve tried everything BUTTTT, Imperial Whitetail Institute ?

hossdaniels 01-16-2009 08:48 AM

Naw, forget that crap. Plant some corn. If you have a larger plot try some soybeans, if its a smaller plot clover works best. If you plant a small plot of soybeans the deer will never let them get up before mowing them down. But if you just have a regular little 1-2 acre hole in the woods, corn is easily the most productive food source for fall hunting.

il coyote 01-16-2009 10:56 AM

I'd say that for a good answer, you'll have to list where you're from.

Not slaming you hossdaniels, but a 1 acre corn or soybean foodplot in a state that's 75% +/- covered in corn and bean fields isn't much of a foodplot. Big diff in IL and NC I suppose.

hossdaniels 01-16-2009 11:45 AM

Good point il coyote, everything is local. I still think those pre packaged monster rack no prep instant plots are junk. If you want oats, buy oats. If you want clover, buy clover. Same for peas and turnips and wheat and rye. Everything needs something different, so you cant get good results from a single planting.

Phil from Maine 01-16-2009 04:38 PM

Habitatnow has some great ideas and you can buy the seeds from them if you like. Or you could just go get some Lucky Buck seeds and give that a try as well..

Good luck with your plot..

mossbergman11/OH 01-17-2009 05:31 PM

try some corn. they eat it and use for cover. and imperial clover, and oats and brassicas good as well. for more info look at www.qdma.com or in the wildlife management forums here, you will get all the help you need, i did;)

mikybigbuck 01-17-2009 05:51 PM

if your soil is right, plant corn and soybeans together...its not as expensive as the "premium" blends...it fattens up the deer and gives them protein for growth and antlers...by fall they'll be in it like candy...