Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What happened to buckshot?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Spike

Default What happened to buckshot?

Like many, live in a a shotgun only state. Most people I know hunt with buckshot and do just as good a job as those who hunt with slugs or etc. Yet, know magazines or tc shows write columns or do shows with hunters hunting with it. Some hunters and even some states find i inferior when I feel more confident with a 12gauge 3" 00 buckshot loaded gun then with any 30-06 or 7mm or whatever. Plase hunters let me knw your thoughts on buckshot.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What happened to buckshot?

i live in a shotgun only state, and every time i go hunting there are two guns in my case, a 870 20ga. with hastings rifled slug barrel and then right next to it the 12 ga. 870 supermag with three inch 00 buckshot
Old 01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Live in Virginia. If you are using dogs than you have buckshot.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM

I hunt in a shotgun only zone too. Slugs only; buckshot is illegal here (Minnesota).

I presume this is because the DNR here feels as though buckshot wounds too many animals.

My personal experience is that slugs hit like the hammer of Thor, and I wouldn't mess with shot.

-nosualc
Old 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take slugs over shot anyday . Better accuracy and you can shoot further away. I would only use buck shot for close range. I've always slammed them to the ground with slugs
Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buckshot wounds many deer. If they don't drop on the spot, they usually don't leave a good blood trail to follow either.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

This topic has been beat to death, and people either love buckshot or hate it. I have said this here and on other boards, but if you keep the limitations in mind, buckshot will kill deer or hogs as good as a rifle or slug.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Plus the advances in slug and slug gun tech gives you a very reliable, longer range shot gun. I have heard of fellas shooting 150+ yds easily with the right set-up. Plus, buck shot is illegal in PA as well. But we also still use rifles.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I do not use buckshot for anything but home defense. I really do not see a need for it when slugs perform so well.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's illegal here in indiana,But to be honest i've never tryed it ,but there must be a good reason
for it to illegal

Quick Reply: What happened to buckshot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.